South-West Sunk Swatchway

tillergirl

Visit site
Did a re-survey on Tuesday. It was fine. Has lost half a metre or so of depth but that still provides 3.4m at CD in the shallowest part. Download can be found at Downloads

Interesting swatch. The flood was still coming through from east to west and as you approach (underwater) the west, it is a natural venturi and there is a nice boost through - hardly out of control but a real pain when you are trying to keep a constant SOG while hoovering data. I assume it is the opposite on the ebb (never done a survey on the ebb - for obvious reasons).

The Little Sunk is a nice stable area so I would be surprised if it needed looking again this year (I did it last year - download same page). Middle Sunk? No I wouldn't recommend using that at the moment. Even the Admiralty Chart is (I believe) not right.

Foulger's Gat clear of maintenance at the moment, Fisherman's Gat fine.

London VTS called me up on VHF 69 to ask my 'intentions' so they might like you on 69 in the Long and Sunk Sand areas. They clearly were monitoring AIS. Mind you I saw no ships, not one, in the Black Deep and Barrow Deep in the 4 hours I was there. Bit like the sky. T'was quite lonely apart from one seal.

Happy sailing

tillergirl

Visit site
Good oh. Still on 69 and see if VTS give you a call. I suspect they were just bored because there was very little outer traffic at the time when I was there.

Oh a new tip. Don't bother with waypoints. Just follow the signs and keep in the lane:

P1070769 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Just a joke ;) . Wasn't it rough!

iainbluk

Visit site
Used the new chartlet on Monday and had a good passage through theswatchway at low water. Thanks tillergirl for the info, always appreciated
Iain B38 Zulu based Pin Mill.