South Ionian Regatta

Cariadco

Visit site
Just got back from this brilliant, brilliant regatta.
Two good days sailing south, stopping overnight in Gios, through the Levcas canal and a greta rip down to Nidri, to meet up with out friends, already there since a few days.
On the regatta, we had all sorts of weather, slow slow on the start (Cruising Chute time) then got out of the Maganisi Chanel, no wind at all!! Nearly drift crashed into another boat....even thought of popping out the fenders!!
Then it started, a gentle little puff from the South , that just built and built and built, ended up with about 30 kts on the nose.
Hammered 'round the Island and head back north for the finish at Sivota.
Would you believe it, the wind died again, about half a mile from the finish line.
Crept over it at 1.2 kts....seamed to take forever.
We could see about 3/4 of the regatta, struggling out of the Meganisi channel, they hadn't even got out to the island!!
Got into Sivota and it was chocker!! Ended up dropping the hook, mid harbour, inflating the dinghy and rowing ashore.
Got ashore for the party, and couldn't believe my eyes...they had Peter Andre on the stage, handing out the awards!! He's been in Greece for weeks, filming his new TV show and ended up in Sivota for the party.
Believe me, PARTY it sure was. All sorts of fun and games on the stage, and excellent Bands. we spent most of the evening in a Pub called Pirates...pretty rough the next morning.
Headed back to levkas, just getting through the bridge at noon and headed north for Gaios.
About 10 miles up, it started to blow from the North!! Again, on the nose...arghhhhh......
Got to Gaios at 9pm after a long, long beat North.
Next day, got back upto Gouvia, after a delightful run north, cruising chute most of the way!!
All in all, a mixed bag few days, but I completely recommend this regatta. It was brilliant.
By the way, we bagged 6th over the line (8th after applying my handicap) estimating about 180 starters and about 50 finishers.
The photo is of the knackered gang, returning to the mooring in gouvia.

Attachments

• Reversing small.jpg
    Reversing small.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We sailed the course as a practice the day before the event in 2007, quite windy throughout from N but most enjoyable. On the day it was as you describe, we never crossed the start line after nearly an hour of 'racing'. Boats nearest the Levkada side were the ones that got away.

ostra4

Visit site
Second that ,great day although have to admit we so nearly retired before the wind kicked in then fabulous sail ! We moored next to Peter Andres boat much to wife's amazement !We were invited aboard to do some filming and food tasting for whatever it was they were filming which is comming out early 2017. All round nice guy and made lots of people..especially the ladies very happy !