Votes: 0 0.0%
  • great love them

• should be banded

• Total voters

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
I watched a commercial ferry leaving the jetty backwards. He gave three short pips on the horn to signify he was going astern then one short to show he was turning to starboard. The driver was obviously on the bridge looking backwards and he turned right. However - whether the ship was going backwards or forwards port is port so surely he should have given two pips (to signify turning to port). What do we think team?

flaming

Visit site
I think if his rudder is to starboard (as it is if I've understood the scenario) then the 1 pip to starboard signal is correct.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I would always anticipate a signal for a turn in the direction of travel.

Some tugs regularly steam backwards on passage, so they have a separate set of nav lights when going in that direction.

NB 3 blasts is "I am engaging astern propulsion" which does not mean "I am going astern", since the vessel could still be moving ahead.

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
NB 3 blasts is "I am engaging astern propulsion" which does not mean "I am going astern", since the vessel could still be moving ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

On top of which you'll often hear three long blasts to mean "Good bye" when a ship (particularly a cruise ship) is leaving port.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume from the description that the turn would be clockwise - hence the bow turns to starboard and thus signal is correct

[/ QUOTE ] I am inclined to agree with that logic,
BUT the Colregs give no indication as to what is correct so its impossible to be sure.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume from the description that the turn would be clockwise - hence the bow turns to starboard and thus signal is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the description, he could not turn to starboard because there was the jetty, no?

If a signal indicates the side of the boat towards which she is turning, then - since she is not a double ender - her port side remains her port side regardless of the direction of travel; likewise for the starboard side.

Two hoots would be the correct signal.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Approaching St Peter Port down the Little Russel at night we saw a ferry with steaming lights clearly indicating that it was coming out of harbour. "Off to Jersey" we thought and concentrated on avoiding Roustel , Brehon Tower and other dangers. With a flick of a switch her steaming lights reversed and she was coming straight at us - heading for Blighty!
We watched the manoevre several times over the next few days and there was no doubt that the captain faced the stern when going 'backwards' and made sound signals accordingly: bound for St Helier it was 3 then 2 as he tucked his stern up the Russel before going off to the South; bound for the UK it was 3 then 1 as he backed round towards St Martins before heading North.
Thirty years later I've seen nothing to contradict that procedure.

TheBoatman

Visit site
That's standard practice for ferries going astern!

In places like Dover & Calais they even change their nav lights from red to green having made the turn.

All standard stuff for commercial ferries.

Peter.

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
Ok - I see the logic. To clarify a point the wheel would have been to port as he reversed. I guess what I learn most from this is if I see a ferry and hear a sound signal of any kind I should watch what happens next with great care!!! :)

Other threads that may be of interest