Some take it too serious

Dipper

Visit site
I agree. I can't see the fun in having a computer program telling your where to sail. It's not as though we have sails to trim to add extra interest. The challenge is to use the available weather information and polar to sail your best.

It is also off putting if you see those using weather routing software taking a different route. I try not to let this influence me but it is difficult.

sarabande

Visit site
It's going to be a bit like the honesty pact in golf, with an understanding that if you sign up to the "non-software supported" race then you only use polars and the given weather forecasts.

I suggest that Brainaid's next contribution will therefore mean an escalation of technology and we will be having a divergence of SOL into Open and "Jester" type classes.

I'd much rather sail with the Jesters and know that I'm competing on equal terms.

monkfish24

Visit site
What software is this?

I agree, would much rather stay the way i am and keep getting better rather than use extra software. Much better pride in showing off after....

shame i'm 750ish :D

Dipper

Visit site
Some people use weather routing software which tells you exactly which course to sail, for how long and when to change. Sailonline have their own call Sailplanner. Some people, Brainaid in particular, have developed their own. Brainaid has undoubtedly put an enormous effort into his so in a sense, his SOL sailing is all his own efforts but it does dull the enjoyment for others.

In real life, weather routing software is used extensively especially for long distance races or for record breaking circumnavigations. But the crew of these boats still have lots of other factors to consider including sail trim, helming and stamina which are not relevant to the SOL races - well maybe stamina is!

Dipper

Visit site
Oh well, that was a disaster!:mad:

Well done Booby.

Al.

Have another go Alistair. At the moment, Trev is 6th, I'm 7th and Booby 8th out of those that are on their second runs. :D

Hopefully, this is faster than the first heat but we won't know until we cross the line.

Dipper

Visit site
Booby's leading 'heat 2'!

Booby is currently the fastest boat on the water. If this group is faster than the first run then he will have the record. :D:eek::D

sarabande

Visit site
curses ! Stuck in Boston with headwinds for the next five days :mad:

Being positive, at least the beer's good. :)

Dipper

Visit site
curses ! Stuck in Boston with headwinds for the next five days :mad:

Being positive, at least the beer's good. :)

Booby, Trev and I will be arriving in Plymouth in the next few hours where it is dark, wet and windy. I think we'll have a quick pint to celebrate and then use the time machine to join you in Boston.

sarabande

Visit site
Is there any means of recording or finding the time of my first go ? I did not note it down as I stormed across the line this morning.

Look forward to you all joining me. I'll set them up for you ;)

Dipper

Visit site
I forgot to check that leaderboard myself. I should end up near the top 50 or 60. Booby and Trev should improve their current times and may get into the top 50.

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
I forgot to check that leaderboard myself. I should end up near the top 50 or 60. Booby and Trev should improve their current times and may get into the top 50.

It's going to be very very close :confused::confused: I think I might just better it.
5 mins to the corner. then 46 miles downwind at 16knts vmg fingers crossed.

I reckon on finishing around 2245 hopefully around 30 mins better than my first go.

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
that was a neat little gybe just at the end. Did you lose much boat speed doing it?

56 looks pretty damn good to me ! well done

Dipper

Visit site
that was a neat little gybe just at the end. Did you lose much boat speed doing it?

56 looks pretty damn good to me ! well done

Thank you.

I think it went down to 93% but the distance to go by gybing was less that 93% of the distance to continue straight on (if that makes sense) so I saved a few microseconds!

It would have been better if the gybe before that had hit the end of the line. :eek:

Nipping over for that beer now before I go to bed.

Spyro

Visit site
Well done Booby. 46th!

Thanks dipper, just made it. 30 mins better than last time. Good result for you too. Trev won't be far behind. Its been good fun the last few days with you and Trev so close. When you guys gybed about 700 miles out I didn't see any point in following as I'd never catch you so kept going NE for a few more hours. I think that's what paid off.