Solent Yamaha Outboard Servicing

C08

Visit site
New 25HP outboard so needs servicing on the boat. Are there any Yamaha Agents with a jetty for onboard servicing?
Reading the Yamaha Website I had the impression that as long as a detailed log of servicing and parts receipts available then it did not invalidate the warranty so very disappointed to be informed by the dealer I bought the engine from that Yamaha are insistant on dealers doing the servicing to retain warranty. I know in the car world that this has been tested in court and car warranties are not invaklidated by self serving properly recorded. Any thoughts or experiences on self servicing outboards and warranty claims?

Hot Property

Visit site
Honda take a relaxed view on self servicing. They even state that other oils meeting same spec as theirs can be used.

When I bought my new BF 135 I didn't want to be tied to a dealer to do a simple oil and filter change...

As you have found out not all manufacturers take this view

C08

Visit site
Thanks for info about Honda. I suppose what I am really also trying to find out is whether what the dealer told me was factual or whether what he told me was just a dealer protectionist ploy. I suppose I will have to e mail Yamaha to get their stance on this, but very disappointed as dealer servicing is not in my budget or preference.

Boathook

Visit site
I suspect that the engine needs to be in a vertical position to change the gear box oil so that either means engine off boat or boat ashore. My Honda dealer was relaxed over me doing an oil change on my 30hp whilst on holiday a few years ago. So far I have not had a warranty claim on an outboard .......