Solar panel controller

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I bought this little thinghie http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Cha...60684563165?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item53fa79aadd for my solar panel and installed it yesterday.However I was too quick to place the order because immediately after there was a discussion here on more sophisticated units for little more money.Could someone please point me in the right direction please?I'd like a decent regulator for two batteries.The solar panel is a 50W one and there are two 85AH batteries.
Once I get it I'll offer this one to anybody who wants it.

VicS

Visit site
We've been running a 40W solar panel all summer to charge 2 batteries and used it in conjunction with a dual solar charge regulator from Maplins. It was so easy to connect and we give it top marks for performance. (so far . . . :) )

Here's the link :- http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-16a-dual-solar-charge-regulator-n35hg

Also a simple on off controller although with outputs for two batteries.

I think what the Op is looking for is a PWM or even an MPPT controller Dual output if the batteries are two separate batteries or single output if the two a parallel into a single bank

Last edited:

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I have had a Sunworks DB1 for many years http://www.sunworks.co.uk/MotorhomesandBoats.html#DB1C_DB2C. It performs well, displays the voltage in each battery bank, the current being generated, and which bank is receiving the power. Usefully, when it developed a fault after about five years it was repaired promptly and cheaply.

Thanks that one looks great but I was hoping to spend less,although it's not too expensive.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks that one looks great but I was hoping to spend less,although it's not too expensive.

I have that one - well, the Photonic Universe badged version - and it seems to work really well. For another £20-30 you can get a nice remote monitor for it as well.

BruceDanforth

Visit site
I've been running one of those all summer to charge my single 110Ah battery from 2 x 20W panels and it has been working fine....

I bought this little thinghie http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Cha...60684563165?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item53fa79aadd for my solar panel and installed it yesterday.However I was too quick to place the order because immediately after there was a discussion here on more sophisticated units for little more money.Could someone please point me in the right direction please?I'd like a decent regulator for two batteries.The solar panel is a 50W one and there are two 85AH batteries.
Once I get it I'll offer this one to anybody who wants it.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
My problem is that I have two batteries. I could connect them both to the controller but it's probably not a good idea.
If your two batteries are connected together anyway it's no problem but if you have one for starting and one for domestics you can't do it. I just charge the domestics with my solar, the start battery is recharged every time you start if it's in decent condition. How about a dual sensing VSR?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If your two batteries are connected together anyway it's no problem but if you have one for starting and one for domestics you can't do it. I just charge the domestics with my solar, the start battery is recharged every time you start if it's in decent condition. How about a dual sensing VSR?

VSRs aren't generally much good with the relatively puny output of solar panels. Battery 1 gets charged, voltage rises, VSR closes, battery 2 drags down voltage, VSR opens, rinse, lather repeat. Chatter chatter chatter. Not an issue with alternators because even a flattish battery will pull down an alternator output much.

pappaecho

Visit site
With 80 watt solar panel and 2 x 2 banks of 110 amp batteries, my Maplin controller works very well for the last 3 years. It works by sending power to the first most discharged bank first, and stops charging at 14 volts.
I think it cost about £12 and is very well built

bluerm166

Visit site
30 boat - I think your question has been well answered ,but if you don't wish to buy another you could use your existing controller by adding a changeover switch that directs the solar charge to either battery.Requires fuses on each leg and a suitably rated switch and of course some discipline in making the manual changeover.
I have used the neat Cherry switch RS 706-3994 to switch the trickle charge from a 20W panel between two 110ah batteries.(no fridge).
But for £33 you would get automatic control and an indication of battery/charge status so the type of solution suggested by vyv seems a 'no brainer' which I'll use next time around.

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I was meaning that the OP couldn't do it with the cheap controller that he has. You can obviously charge 2 separate banks with a controller designed to do it. I must be more precise in future.
You are right, but I was replying to a statement that it cannot be done.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
30 boat - I think your question has been well answered ,but if you don't wish to buy another you could use your existing controller by adding a changeover switch that directs the solar charge to either battery.Requires fuses on each leg and a suitably rated switch and of course some discipline in making the manual changeover.
I have used the neat Cherry switch RS 706-3994 to switch the trickle charge from a 20W panel between two 110ah batteries.(no fridge).
But for £33 you would get automatic control and an indication of battery/charge status so the type of solution suggested by vyv seems a 'no brainer' which I'll use next time around.

I'll order a better regulator like the one mentioned here.At the moment I'm changing the wires between batteries but that's not the right way to do it .