Solar LED lighting for the shed

bella915

Visit site
New to this idea.
I want to add solar powered LED lighting inside the shed where I can switch off and on when I need lights. I'm mainly going to be storing my fishing stuff, some yard stuff inside this shed. When I move out though, I'm going to take the solar lighting set up with me anyway!! So any guides and help will be greatly appreciated!

I also would like to keep this as cheap as possible? The shed is also fairly small. Probably 8ft by 10ft.

lw395

Visit site
I've got some 5m tapes of LEDs, they run off 12V. About £5 on ebay?
In my lock up they were powered by an old car battery, charged by a £20 solar panel.
But they would run for quite a long time on 8 AAs.
Sometimes you see round multi led lights powered by 3 AAAs for about £4. A few of those might be a start?
And a LED torch to find things in the shadows?
Depends how much light you need, are you working or just wanting to find things in a nice tidy shed?

pmagowan

sites.google.com
You can get very cheap led lights with batteries included that you simply push to turn on/off. To add solar is more complex and you would need a battery bank that could be recharged. A bit expensive for such a minor requirement and unless you did a good job of it would probably last as long.

William_H

Visit site
As said much depends on just how much light you want. Those ropes of LEDs running on 12v are excelent especially as mostly no shadows. So you decide how much light you need. Then you need a battery. As said an old car battery is perhaps the best cheapest. These can take up to a 10w solar panel set on the roof facing south at an angle to horizon. Do fit a fuse at the battery terminal. You don't want to set fire to the shed. If there is a short.
I have found Mr Banggod of China has lots of 12v LEDs and is cheap. All resistive current limiting which is fine.
Alterntive for battery is 10 Nicad cells. Sub C size seem to be best capcity for cost. Get tagged batteries and solder them together. However a 10w panel can cook them so you need a regulator. Even then a bit tricky. Monitor charge current you might want to switch a resistor in for summer to limit charge current.
I have a lot of 12v lights around outside the house for security. (and cos I am a bit of a nutter) I have abut 30 watts of various solar panels into an old 75AH deep cycle 12v battery runs about 15 watts of LEDs for about 4 hrs each night using a timer switch. So mostly an excess of charge power although I supplement it in times of cloud in winter. But usually at 32degrees south we get plenty of sun.
These little guys are brilliant http://www.banggood.com/3W-24led-CO...=EzQIH4eJFS&emst=EzQIH4eJFS_211133_1427034_32
Don't buy his 1w or 3w LED chips as they need a current limiting resistor and a heat sink. olewill

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site

Interesting video. Not so much how to do it as how he did it. A bit like boating you do things the way you think best and using whatever you have to hand or fancy buying. Using things as much will look good as best value or function.
For instance the domestic wiring he used would be a cost more than necessary unless you got it at the right price (free). Lighter single wires of red and black of suitable size would be adequate and cheapest if buying. He only needed one fuse at the battery IMHO. Although in using an electric pump of higher current he would need heavier wire for that so if using lighter wire for the lights and solar panel graduated fusing might be more appropriate. ie big fuse for the battery and pump wiring lower rating fuse appropriate to the lighter light wiring.
Probably the domestic switches were best for a shed, bigger so easier to find in the dark and with boxes made to mount them in, probably cheapest given the huge domestic market.
The battery he used was ideal but again for best cost use what you can get. Old car or boat battery.
Something I discovered recntly and not previously obvious to me is the mounting of the solar panel. It is raised off the roof by some cms to give air flow underneath to aid cooling. Hot panel is less efficient. Perhaps less concern in UK.
Lastly he did not touch on actual lights which are varied in many ways. More lights around the wall/roof gives less shadows. Use lights radiating in one direction not the corn cob or old bulb look a likes. Just a few observations olewill

Euphonyx

Visit site
My local Marina has a place set aside for disposing of engine oil and old batteries. They may be past their best for cranking engines but if they hold a charge they are perfect for LED lights. Worth exploring your local boat yard/marina.