Solar charging dilema??

iantomlinson

Visit site
we have 2 seperate systems i think. 200w of damn good panels through victron mppt controller charging domestic. then, an old crappy flexible through pwm still working to charge(trickle probably) the engine batteries.
both banks have a seperate on/off iso and a vsr connection to both for alternator charging.
both engine batteries replaced last weekend and i noticed the new engine batteries were not charging through the crappy panel.
they were before.
if i switch the engine iso on, they then charge, but i also note they charge to the same rate as the domestics.
seems like the vsr could have popped and is putting the same charge from the good domestics through to the engine ones.
Dont understand.... the systems are seperate with the iso's off but the only connection is the vsr.
Any ideas.

B27

Visit site
You can only trace the circuits and probe with a voltmeter.
We on the internet can only guess what your circuit really is.

iantomlinson

Visit site
I have a voltmeter thanks the question is simple. Domestics seperate with direct charging panels. Engines seperate with direct feeble panel. Only connection is a vsr between both +ve for engine charging. Always charged OK with respective panels. Now-- sinced replaced the engine batteries the engine ones are dropping(not solar charged). If i switch the engine iso on, they accept charge. The question was--can a blown vsr transfer the solar charge between both??? What's complicated in the question?

VicS

Visit site
I have a voltmeter thanks the question is simple. Domestics seperate with direct charging panels. Engines seperate with direct feeble panel. Only connection is a vsr between both +ve for engine charging. Always charged OK with respective panels. Now-- sinced replaced the engine batteries the engine ones are dropping(not solar charged). If i switch the engine iso on, they accept charge. The question was--can a blown vsr transfer the solar charge between both??? What's complicated in the question?
A wiring diagram would help to understand how you have everything connected.

It sounds as though your "crappy panel" and PWM controller are connected to the wrong side of the isolator OR the system is defunct and the VSR is connected to the load side of the engine battery isolator and charges the engine battery from the "damn good panels" and Victron controller when the isolator is closed. Is the VSR bidirectional?

A wiring diagram would help to understand your system .

William_H

Visit site
Ideally the batteries should be isolated when you leave the boat. ie only the MPPT to the domestic and only PWM to engine battery so VSR is not of concern until you turn power on (close isolators). So if that is OP set up then we are looking at a small panel connected via PWM controller to engine battery.
Disconnect panel from controller and test for vol;tage on wires to panel. Should be around 20v in full sun. You can also just short the 2 wires from panel together via an amp meter to get 1 amp per 20w of panel. 2A for 40w.
Disconnect PWM controller and bypass so panel connects directly to battery. Go via an amp meter (multimeter on amps range) to confirm panel is able to charge battery. If ok like about 2 amps for a 40w panel in full sun, The controller is dud. That is assuming engine battery is not fully charged. (a possibility but not likely depending on voltage setting of controller. ol'will

onesea

Visit site
The question was--can a blown vsr transfer the solar charge between both??? What's complicated in the question?
Yes my VSR does

All my solar is on the domestics, however when voltage reaches 12.8v VSR closes and they charge the battery.

Conversely when engine running one voltage gets to 12.8 it charges the domestics.

Sounds to me like the new engine batteries are holding charge better and charging domestics, until the VSR opens.