Soay Pt 2

claymore

Visit site
There
Sorry - still struggling to upload files/images despite being instructed several times. Like a few other things - if you don't do it that often, you lose the hang of it....

Attachments

• P1010128.JPG
    P1010128.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

zoidberg

Visit site
That looks rather wider in there than I'd infer from the chart. 'Twas it a wide angle lens used?

claymore

Visit site
That looks rather wider in there than I'd infer from the chart. 'Twas it a wide angle lens used?

Don't you find that charts and reality sometime contain little in the way of similarities?
My first thought on attempting to enter Soay Harbour - which does look a tad tight - and inspired by the pilot book - Martin Lawrence has done a great job over the years of keeping anchorages empty - was that if Mr Maxwell and Mr Geddes could run a business of sorts from there which probably entailed nipping in and out quite frequently - why not give it a go?

claymore

Visit site
Nice piccie. High tide me thinks ?

I scraped the outboard of the dinghy trying to get in at mid tide. Decided not to take our 2m keel in even at high tide.

my books are on the boat but I'm fairly sure the advice on when you can enter and exit is fairly specific and there are only 2 shallowish spots. I've sat on the bottom waiting to get in once or twice and then you have to ease over to the right and put in a bit of a dog leg

zoidberg

Visit site
Don't you find that charts and reality sometime contain little in the way of similarities?
why not give it a go?

Yes.

And.... should I make 'another gross navigation error' with my little Cutlass27 next year, and find Portree instead of Ponta Delgada, I'll pro'ly go looking for North Soay. Maybe, on a good day, my little 1.4m might just scrape by through the dead kelp and old tin cans......

claymore

Visit site
Yes.

And.... should I make 'another gross navigation error' with my little Cutlass27 next year, and find Portree instead of Ponta Delgada, I'll pro'ly go looking for North Soay. Maybe, on a good day, my little 1.4m might just scrape by through the dead kelp and old tin cans......

The auld dyslexia has a lot to answer for - yer very lucky not to have ended up in Porta Potti -

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
It does look tight for swinging room, but it's enough. Including ourselves, there were four at anchor when we were last there in May.

20180528%20Soay%20Harbour_zps0jelh9s7.jpg

dunedin

Visit site
my books are on the boat but I'm fairly sure the advice on when you can enter and exit is fairly specific and there are only 2 shallowish spots. I've sat on the bottom waiting to get in once or twice and then you have to ease over to the right and put in a bit of a dog leg

As you probably know Antares have done a detailed survey and chart (since I was last there). Most of the entrance seems to have a 1.8m drying height unless really confident of finding the narrow slightly deeper bit with 1m drying height.