So who's made it all the way up the Guadiana to Mertola?

GHA

Visit site
Ran aground at areia gorda today for a few minutes then chickened out just below Vau De Bombeira and dropped the hook. Long dinghy from here, longer on the way back in the dark :)

Anyone made it all the way?

Might have another hit tomorrow but maybe top of springs ain't best time..

Lovely river. :cool:

DownWest

Visit site
What depth are you drawing?
Friend is going down to his place near Silves in March and will build a couple of faeings, so he and son can do Mertola down. Start even further up if possible.

charles_reed

Visit site
Ran aground at areia gorda today for a few minutes then chickened out just below Vau De Bombeira and dropped the hook. Long dinghy from here, longer on the way back in the dark :)

Anyone made it all the way?

Might have another hit tomorrow but maybe top of springs ain't best time..

Lovely river. :cool:

Yes, both by dinghy from Pomerao and in Flica.
Finally went up on the excursion boat.
The last bit, needing a right angle turn just below the Roman watergate was the most dodgy part.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Visit site
Hey, how are you? In La Linea at the mo.
Stu
Stu saw Ludd when he returned from Uk after xmas & like most of us he had the flu.
Understand he will shorly be hauling out at Bruces for a scurb & antifoul.

Only ever been as far as Pomarao but intend visit to Mertola on next visit now I have pro charts. Didnt have much faith in the hand drawn charts that do the rounds. What draught are you ?

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Only ever been as far as Pomarao but intend visit to Mertola on next visit now I have pro charts. Didnt have much faith in the hand drawn charts that do the rounds. What draught are you ?

Not sure I'd trust any charts up there actually!

I found a copy of the Guadiana pilot book but the 2 hand drawn sketches were just as useful, especially "hug the north Bank at Vau de aciete" :)

Will post more tracks and pics when back in the land of quick wifi.

Sneaked past there yesterday not long after low water with spreaders almost touching the branches.

https://eos-log.jimdo.com/harbours-and-anchorages/guadiana/

image.jpg

My razor sharp sailors instinct tells me there could maybe not be too much water round about here...

Vx0Ne5Hh.jpg

Couple of nights ago at anchor there was a midnight bump on the ebb as the stern found a rock a little way downstream from here. Bit surreal, sounder showing over 2m under the keel with the stern a foot or 2 higher than normal :)

jeanne

Visit site
Hi, we handout the hand drawn charts from our house in Sanlucar. The main problem is that they are only a guide, added to by yachtsmen when new info available i.e. after floods, when things can change a bit. But I believe, from sailors who have used them, that they are just as, if not more reliable than the published pilot (Now out of print) The skipper of the trip boat at Mertola, is a mine of info, and is used to piloting yachts when asked. You have to follow his boat Vendeval. Or as suggested in another post, talk to Nicole and Chris on Mew Gull. Boats drawing 2m have made it - but steel is best!!!