So Who's Had Pancakes For Tea!! NM

tr7v8

Visit site
Re: So Who\'s Had Pancakes For Tea!! NM

Of course! Only the odd dozen though cos I'am watching my weight!

Jim
-----

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site
Re: So Who\'s Had Pancakes For Tea!!

did you toss them yourself?

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

tr7v8

Visit site

Nah that's wot I got married for, I do the eating Becky does the cooking, although to be fair she did have 1 or 2!

Jim
-----

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site

I'm useless in the kitchen - Mr B does all the cooking

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

duncan

Visit site

yes and sadly, or otherwise, I was just thinking how easy it would be to bottle some batter and put the skillet over a barbie on the beach........another good way to consume rum! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

montezuma

Visit site

Where did this one come from - ignoring the obvious pun - surely we're 3 weeks past this? Perhaps there's some strange stinkie celebration around 4 March for which you need a funny handshake?

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site

It's pancake day today

BarryH

Visit site

Just munching thru mine now. Who thought of this pancake thing anyway. I know I should know, but I don't!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

paulineb

Visit site

It's the last day before the start of lent. 40 days and nights in the wilderness. you have to fast during lent or at least give something up. pancake day or Shrove Tuesday is when you use up all the food in the larder

BarryH

Visit site

Yeah I know all about that, but why specifically Pancakes. I'mean if your going to use up all the food in the larder, surely a nice club sarnie, or even spag bog. They use way more stuff up. All pnacakes use is flour, egg or two and a bit of milk. What about them beans that have been in the back of the cupboard for eons cos they went out of date 6 years ago. Or the tin of lentil soup thats gon rusty!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Col

Visit site

So what have you given up for lent?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

BrendanS

Visit site

Because in days of yore, spag bog wasn't an option (wasn't known in UK then), and no can's 'cos these weren't invented for ages.

It was meant to use up all the rich foods in the larder that you weren't allowed to eat during Lent ...eggs, sugar and butter wern't allowed so they were used to make pancakes

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site

because they only ate unleaven bread and maize and corn and flour and milk and stuff which, together with eggs, either means toad in the hole with no toad or pancakes

BrendanS

Visit site

KIM! Can we please have all the raggies barred from our nice stinkie forum. They're alway causing trouble

Got another nautical terminology question for you, oh wise and experienced raggie. Why are all the raggies on Classic Boats always attaching things to their chain plates? If they need to wear armour, don't they realise that chain mail, and armour plate, suits of armour were separate. Why do they wear them together, and don't they realise their life jackets won't hold up that weight if they fall overboard? Why are they always attaching things to their armour? Hope you can help? Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

I think I'm getting the hang of all this nautical lingo, now that several of your comments are starting to hang together.

1) Americas Cup
We've looted all the Stately homes, run out of armour, and modern boat designers have resorted to less appropriate materials. This is why things on modern racing boats break or snap, and the boat loses the race

2) Swinging the lead.
Leaden pancakes chucked overboard didn't show the depth too well, as the skipper lost sight of it after a few feet, and it wasn't until tacks (see below), that someone thought of adding a piece of string to measure the depth accurately. However the act of swinging the inedible leaden pancake overboard became a sport to see who could chuck it furthest, and so the Olypic Sailing sport of discus throwing came into being

3) Tack
As the leaden pancake was not a useful depth measuring device, and no satisfactory alternative has ever been developed, measured empirically by the number of raggies that go aground and have to be pulled off by stinkies...it didn't stop the raggies trying to develop alternatives.

One US raggie, racing at Xmas time, needed to know the depth in a hurry, and pulled down the xmas decorations on board, and threw overboard a tack (known as a drawing pin in the UK) attached to the string it was holding up. Good idea for a yank, but unfortunately all the other tacks on the string, were strewn on deck. The crew, stepping on the tacks, ran up the boat, and sat on the rail with their feet safely out over the water. This made the boat turn and sail faster.

So, the cry arose of "Port tacks" whereupon the crew would run around in panic, stepping on imaginary tacks on port deck, then dive for the starboard side, and sit with their feet hanging over the side. Their combined weight turned the boat, and there they would sit, until the skipper yell "Starboard tacks"

It's quite easy this nautical lingo, don't know what I was worried about.