So who HAS sailed a MacGregor?

andytrombone

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, much more positive and less prejudiced than I was expecting :)

I'm interested in a MacGregor 26 and was looking for some decent responses on this thread.
I think you have been lucky with the replies so far, hope it helps you decide one way or the other

I'm not planning on buying anything soon but I was curious given the received wisdom.
Andy.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
It is an American boat & largely targets the American market - hence the consistently large number of sales. but there are quite few over here. I think they tend to appeal to newcomers who aren't sure how they will use their boats. Most of us on here are fairly set in our cruising (or racing) styles so don't see much need for a "crossbreed".

I can still see the value of a trailerable boat that will sail OK & motor quickly to get you back to base at the end of the day, or to catch that tide gate, or even push on thro after you've missed the tide! Don't underestimate the value of a planing boat when the tide turns.

northwind

Visit site
Its funny how boats always stir up emotions. Many sailer seem to class the magregor as a "toy" along the lines of the Skipper Dinghy...

Or is it because it is trying to be all things to all people?

I have been seriously looking at a baycrusier 23. As a trailer sailer, its water ballasted, designed to be easy to trail, but is arguably prettier than the macgregor :)

Its never going to cross the channel.. but not everyone wants too.

http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/167/127/

All boats are a compromise, but few seem to stir up emotions like the macgregor!

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Many sailer seem to class the magregor as a "toy"

I think that might be because the high-sided ones with the stripe "windscreens" (are they actually transparent?) look an awful lot like some kind of caricature of a boat, as if from a kids' TV programme.

Pete

Signed Out

Visit site
I have been seriously looking at a baycrusier 23. As a trailer sailer, its water ballasted, designed to be easy to trail, but is arguably prettier than the macgregor :)

Its never going to cross the channel.. but not everyone wants too.

http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/167/127/

That certainly is much prettier, but I suspect FAR more expensive. If not it deserves to win. But, I think also it's more boaty, whereas the Maggie is more carish, which perhaps is what some folk are after. Seems more "modern" and swish, while the B23 is more retro, which is more likely to last as a pleasant design, but less "of the moment" (except retro is of the moment, at the moment- Mystery, Spirit, etc.).

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
The (American) Hunter Legend 24 is a very similar concept to the MacGregor, but you don't seem to get the same sort of comments about them.

A bloke I know through the Trail Sail Association had a MacGregor and swapped it for a Legend 24. He said the Legend sailed better when we saw them cruising the Clyde a few years ago, in his Legend, out with the MacGregor Owners Association!

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
The (American) Hunter Legend 24 is a very similar concept to the MacGregor, but you don't seem to get the same sort of comments about them.

Okay, I'll run with this one. I just Googled the Hunter Legend 24 and found the Hunter Legend 240, which I assume is the boat.

First of all, they are far from being a similar concept, except for the water ballast. I thought the entire point about the MacGregor was, aside from the water ballast, was that it was also a planing speed boat with a 50hp outboard on the back, meaning that the average boater can whiz out to his cruising ground, bimble about for a considerable amount of time with the sails up, and then whiz back - even against tide and wind - to catch the last lock in or last orders.

To me that is the attraction as I don't want to spend the rest of my life waiting for the tide.

Too many people have boats where it can take most of the day just to get to open water, and the rest of the day to get back again! But then, that is what is attractive to THEM.

So, except for the Hunter Legend 240 having sails and water ballast, it is entirely dissimilar. :)

avole

Visit site
That certainly is much prettier, but I suspect FAR more expensive. If not it deserves to win. But, I think also it's more boaty, whereas the Maggie is more carish, which perhaps is what some folk are after. Seems more "modern" and swish, while the B23 is more retro, which is more likely to last as a pleasant design, but less "of the moment" (except retro is of the moment, at the moment- Mystery, Spirit, etc.).
Being interested in the MacGregor or equivalents, I'd have to say that the Baycruiser looks like it has a lost less room inside generally, and headroom would be a definite problem.

Just one small thing (and bear in mind I'm a novice when it comes to things larger than a dinghy) I assume you don't have to fit a 50hp motor? The web site implies a minimum of 5hp so I assume anything in between is fine.

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
So what you are saying then is that:
One of these boats is light enough to trail behind a large car,
Has a roomy open plan interior,
has sails,
is OK with a 10Hp outboard.
And the other is the same but can take a 50 Hp outboard too.

If you are looking for a >22' trailsailer and don't want a 4X4 they are similar.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
So what you are saying then is that:
One of these boats is light enough to trail behind a large car,
Has a roomy open plan interior,
has sails,
is OK with a 10Hp outboard.
And the other is the same but can take a 50 Hp outboard too.

If you are looking for a >22' trailsailer and don't want a 4X4 they are similar.

Yes, except you will not be going anywhere fast with 10hp and in the Swellies against and 8 knot tide, mostly backwards.

I just see the MacGregor as a speed boat (almost) that that sails(almost). The Hunter Legend 240 probably sails (better) but is useless as a speed boat (useless).

I thought that was the reason the MacGregor sold in such huge quantities.

By the way, I have a motorboat but would happily have a foot in the dark side with MacGregor.

SamSalter

Visit site
I live in Alberta, Canada (ex-Brit).
Retired now, but work part time in a Marina that is a Macgregor dealer!
I own a C&C 26 - fixed keel; proper sailboat!

There are a few misconceptions here!
Mac owners aren't only first time, neophyte buyers. Mac owners are very loyal and usually trade up to another, newer Macgregor.
When I'm out sailing on the lake, the Macs are by far the most numerous out sailing. They get used a lot.
Mac dealers don't need to advertise, buyers come looking for us. That's why Roger Macgregor sells 400 odd boats a year.

I do all the fitting out on the new Macs we sell, and I've sailed them a few times. They are put together pretty cheap - but you get a lot of boat for your money. The new ones sail OK, but I prefer my C&C.

We sell between 15 and 20 a season. Our season is April to October - the lake is currently frozen - there are pick-up trucks on it, ice fishing.

I'm about to head down to California in a few weeks to pick our first boat for
the 2011 season. It's already sold, as are the next two.

It may not be the prettiest or the best sailing boat, but they are easy to sail; cheap to get started; a lot of boat for the money and have a very loyal customer base.

And sa far as a dealer is concerned - a good money maker!

sam :)

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
good and honest review

take a look at this

http://www.practical-sailor.com/boatreviews/macGregor-26-boat-review.html

400 boats a year being made - you can't argue with that

mind you, I am not sure I could get quite so far up the creeks in a mac as I do in the slug

might be wrong though, as like many of the 'experts' here on YBW, I too have never sailed one

only three feet or water under the slug here up troublesome reach

Dylan

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
From Dylan's link: "The hull, deck and interior liners are solid, hand-laid fiberglass, and MacGregor brags that there’s not a chopper gun in the factory; instead, workers use low-volume airless guns to wet out resins. No cores are used."

That kills the rumour they are built with chopped glass.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Dylan,

With light winds & the ballast tank full & the CB & rudders only part down I doubt you'd have much trouble sailing a Mac in 2' -3' of water. Might not point that well with so little grip, but the planing hull may help.

It will draw less than a foot if motoring - and it doesn't HAVE to be planing with a 50hp, a Century LS would allow it to potter up the creeks & sail back downwind.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Like Searush, I can see how and why the concept would appeal to some people.

I would imagine that anyone who has sailed any half decent dinghy, or anyone who has pushed a decent planing hulled powerboat along would notice the difference being substantial. Whether that would be enough to spoil the experience or not is very much down to the make up of the individual. For some (many) that compromise will be just fine. For others it will be a rotten mistake.

My problem with them, therefore, is not really in what they do, or how they do it, (as it will be a perfect compromise for someone out there), but more the fact that they are (IMHO) a pretty ugly vessel.... I think a similar concept with a bit more styling could be an even bigger commercial success if costs could be kept down.

It would just never work for me.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I live in Alberta, Canada (ex-Brit).
Retired now, but work part time in a Marina that is a Macgregor dealer!
I own a C&C 26 - fixed keel; proper sailboat!

There are a few misconceptions here!
Mac owners aren't only first time, neophyte buyers. Mac owners are very loyal and usually trade up to another, newer Macgregor.
When I'm out sailing on the lake, the Macs are by far the most numerous out sailing. They get used a lot.
Mac dealers don't need to advertise, buyers come looking for us. That's why Roger Macgregor sells 400 odd boats a year.

I do all the fitting out on the new Macs we sell, and I've sailed them a few times. They are put together pretty cheap - but you get a lot of boat for your money. The new ones sail OK, but I prefer my C&C.

We sell between 15 and 20 a season. Our season is April to October - the lake is currently frozen - there are pick-up trucks on it, ice fishing.

I'm about to head down to California in a few weeks to pick our first boat for
the 2011 season. It's already sold, as are the next two.

It may not be the prettiest or the best sailing boat, but they are easy to sail; cheap to get started; a lot of boat for the money and have a very loyal customer base.

And sa far as a dealer is concerned - a good money maker!

sam :)

Youve hit the nail there....

They are fine I am sure in Alberta... But you dont get a 3 meter swell in Alberta, or wind against tide around Start Point..... (At least you didnt when I was sailing on Sylvan Lake..... but that was 30 years ago...)

Frankly, they are ill suited to the UK, unless you keep it in entirely sheltered waters..... Ala Windermere.

I dont think its being nasty being honest about these boats... if you want to sail on coastal waters around the UK then these boats are not well suited. There are some good European trailer sailors available that are much more suited to the conditions we get in the UK.

Plus they look like a Winnibago down below. Yuck.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
only suitable for sheltered water

Youve hit the nail there....

They are fine I am sure in Alberta... But you dont get a 3 meter swell in Alberta, or wind against tide around Start Point..... (At least you didnt when I was sailing on Sylvan Lake..... but that was 30 years ago...)

Frankly, they are ill suited to the UK, unless you keep it in entirely sheltered waters..... Ala Windermere.

I dont think its being nasty being honest about these boats... if you want to sail on coastal waters around the UK then these boats are not well suited. There are some good European trailer sailors available that are much more suited to the conditions we get in the UK.

Plus they look like a Winnibago down below. Yuck.

However, here is one coming in through wells bar - hardly a lake...it looks pretty good to me

snaps by Max

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicaas.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicabs.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicacs.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicads.jpg