So where's the other Quid?

cngarrod

Visit site
So where\'s the other Quid?

A little brain teaser for you that my daughter just brought back from school...

3 guys want to buy a TV, they walk into a TV shop and buy one for £15, each paying a fiver.

10 minutes later the Shop owner realises that the TV was on Sale, and should have been 1/3rd less. He tells his assistant to go and give the guys a fiver back.

The assistant leaves the shop and thinks i can't split this fiver between the 3 of them easily... i know i will give them back £1 each and pocket the difference of £2.

This means that the new owners of the TV paid £4 each for it.... which is £12, the assistant pocketed £2.... totalling £14..... so where is the other £1????

And before you say it... i dunno where you can buy a TV for £15 or £10....!

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Re: So where\'s the other Quid?

it's great fun and will keep people going for hours if not days and your maths isn't wrong it a technical issue you need to ask an account about to get the answer, my mate who is one set this for me a while back.

Take it you don't have the asnwer then ? - I've hinted at the answer in the last posts so someone is bound to pick up on it.

miket

Visit site

Now will all the accountants who have just finished doing their 3 "T" accounts try and explain?!!!!

The answer is the Shop, £10 + Assistant £2 = Customer's £12. Straight double entry bookeeping. Can't explain why it doesn't work the other way round !!

byron

RIP
Visit site

The shop assistant made a mistake, he should have put all the dosh in his pocket and kept schtumm telling the manager he had given everyone their refunds

ô¿ô

cngarrod

Visit site

errr.. thanks... at least i know why i never became an accountant!

Might also explain why i pay so much Bl@@dy income tax!

Cheers,

C

cngarrod

Visit site
Re: Like it!

Thanks Peter... will be near them next tuesday, am gonna pop in and have a look and decide which one i want - more likely which one i can afford!

Cheers,

C

jfm

Visit site
Re: fruits

Yup, it's an apples+ oranges problem. You cannot add the 12 to the 2, to get 14, because they're the same thing. The TV cost the 3 bods £12, of which £10 went to the shopkeeper and the other £2 was trousered by the assistant. The rest is a shoal of red herrings

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Like it!

I must be well out of touch, I hadn't realised they were topping £200 now. Still! they are the best bit of kit around.

ô¿ô

oldsaltoz

Visit site

Hi Craig.
How many of us remember the word B O D M A S from your school days?
Bodmas
B-rackets come bef-Ore D-ivision and M-ultiplication, which in turn take precedence over A-ddition and S-ubtraction. (In junior school you possibly learnt about this rule as 'Bodmas'.

Do your maths, or the riddle in the above order and no errors (I hope)

Avagoodweekend Old Salt Oz……

Robin2

Visit site

I thought the O stood for "of" as in "half of" which is the same as multiplying by half and has the same precedence as division and multiplication.

I can't see how BODMAS helps with the above maths quiz as it only entails addition and subtraction which have equal matematical precedence?

adarcy

Visit site
Re: fruits no semantics

I'm sorry but you CAN <<add the 12 to the 2 and get 14, because they're the same thing. >>
I'm also afraid the intrinsically correct oldsaltoz contribution adds little here.

It's all semantics there ARE 15 notes/coins and only 14 spent so what?
The original 15 end up 10 with the shopkeeper, 3 - 1 with each investor and 2 with the assistant, none are "missing". Each investor has spent 4 which gives the 10 + 2. The semantic hitch is to equate the 15 with the 14. It is much easier to understand if you imagine the investors putting 5 pounds down on the shop counter only then each getting 1 back and the assistant keeps 2 - everyone should see that there are still 5 pounds in play.

Anyway, this one is as old as the hills, anyone got a NEW "puzzle"?

Anthony

ari

Visit site

TV is £10.

Chaps paid £4 each which equals £12, less the £2 the assistant pocketed equals the £10 the telly cost!

Simple.

coliholic

Visit site
Re: fruits no semantics

So how does jfm make a profit out of this then? He's got more angles than pythagoras, so his cut must be the missing quid?

KevL

Visit site

Look there is no need for language like that on here! Sheez you'll be mentioning the IR next <BG>

KevL

Buck

Visit site

They paid £4 each including the assistants £2, easy for us yotties, you stink potters never cease to amaze me. (only joking)

Buck

The thing about men and fish is one is always trying to eat the other.