So how low was the tide last weekend?

mixmaster

Visit site
Lots of posts (including mine) about low water, boats getting stuck, drying out etc... Was the tide exceptionally low vs the predictions over the weekend? If yes, is there anywhere to check by how much? Was it due to the high pressure? I noticed it was almost as high as 1024hPa on Sunday.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Lots of posts (including mine) about low water, boats getting stuck, drying out etc... Was the tide exceptionally low vs the predictions over the weekend? If yes, is there anywhere to check by how much? Was it due to the high pressure? I noticed it was almost as high as 1024hPa on Sunday.

In Tremadog Bay on Monday the tide height was 0.0m.

Dockhead

Visit site
On Saturday evening I was warned by Yarmouth HM to stay out of Yarmouth with my 2.4 metre draft. I ignored his advice and went in near high tide, and tied up to the green (old non walk-on) pontoon. Stayed overnight only after making a very careful calculation of how low the water could get and how much would be left under my keel.

I saw 0.3 under the keel while coming in from the West in a spot where I've always had plenty of water. Leaving on Sunday on the ebb I had to depart the pontoon downtide since there was no depth upstream from my position (the crew of the yacht downstream from me, who were afraid I would hit them as I left, gave me a lecture about not leaving pontoons downtide -- I just smiled). I think that the tide was easily 0.5 lower than the astronomical value.

Entering the Hamble near low tide on Sunday afternoon was amazing. The river was just a trickle between vast mud flats. I personally have never seen anything like it.

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
Looks like there was a 13 metre Range of Tide in the Bristol Channel ( Newport ) on Monday.

tide_range.jpg

There've been higher Highs and lower Lows, but that's quite enough mudflats for anyone.

:)

georgeo

Visit site

walking the dog on the foreshore of Herm, Sunday, looking at my shore based bass fishing spots, I felt the tide had gone a very long way lower than predicted. But no crises for me on refloating and sailing back to SPP, but left it a bit later than I would normally have done.

greenalien

Visit site
Went well aground on the 'shelf' in Newtown river on Sunday evening; at the Folly the next evening, dinghies on the inside of the pub pontoon were aground and inaccessible for a couple of hours.

Last edited: