Snooty or friendly ?

simongoldthorpe

Visit site
Newish to boating (4-5 years) and based on a swinging mooring in Poole Harbour I wondered if anyone has experience of any of the boat clubs around Poole.
I get the impression that you have to be in the 'in-crowd' to join.
Are they worth joining, what sort of facilities do they have, do you have to wear silly hats and listen to condescending lectures from those with years of experience.
I love boating but it would be nice to share it with a few others and am often too short handed to get out on the boat (Princess 315) .
Perhaps I sound too cynical to be a useful member of a club!

nicho

Visit site
Sorry Simon, I don't know any of them. As you own a motor cruiser I wouldn't reckon you'd get a great reception at any of the Yacht Clubs - I'm sure that you will have seen the two mix together like oil and water! Best bet is to share your experiences on this forum - it's good fun once you get going!!

lanason

Visit site
We used to pop in to Poole Harbour Yacth club in the early 80's to pick up bits and pieces for the boat.

Never looked up so many noses (cus they we looking down them) must have been because we had a 30 foot MOTOR boat, and we USED it.

Err... I never actually saw a moving Motor boat in the marina. Heard the odd engine running but I think that was more for show. White and blue striped tops were compulsory for the girls as were cravates for the Guys ...

Stil that was 20 years ago ..... it must have changed since then !!!!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif perhaps

Adrian

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>Kelisha Pics</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

I've got a sports boat on a swinging mooring in Poole, use it all summer long, we have been into Cobbs Quay yacht club, thats pretty friendly, the yacht club in Weymouth is OK and Chichester club is nice ( but you need to be signed in).

I noticed a fly bridge Princess on a swinger off of Lake Pier is she yours ?

e mail or P.M for a chat

Ian

aztec

Visit site
Wot about...

making a club.. easy, you'll need big box of like minded souls, these should ideally have telephones, be near enough not to have to travel miles just to say Hiya. have a boat... or access to one, or be able to crew.. and some beer!

i'm certainly up to meet others, and as i'm new to boating too it would help knowing there are people who you could call on to help... if it all goes wrong... which it normally does!!

do the PM. or the ICQ bit, and maybe next season we can enjoy a local cruise, so us lesser mortals can "get the hang of it" wot do ya recon>??

pistonbroke

Visit site
RMYC, yeah, I'm a member. I've been one for about 15 years, and it sure is a strange place.

The blue rinse brigade sits in one corner, looking down their noses at any one under 50 years old. Quite a large proportion of the menbership don't have a boat. But tend to use the place as a gentlemens smoking club.

The poetry evenings are a scream, together with various other activities like slide shows and shopping trips!!

Christmas festivies are wicked, I nearly caused a riot one year during dinner when I passed the Port in the wrong direction.

It has a very active sailing calendar, together with a good powerboating / racing following.

Pop in for a drink one Saturday afternoon, and take a look around.

But don't look to longingly at the marina berths, I've got mates who have been on the waiting list for 7+ years

simongoldthorpe

Visit site
Re: Wot about...

Lets go for it and start a new club, then we can look down our noses at everybody else!!!!

Seriously though a new club for those just interested in boats would be great, anybody else interested??

I will post a new thread and see what everybody says.

BarryH

Visit site

Steve wants to start a club! Bet the first meeting will be "rubbing down the topsides inaugural meet"

I'm in poole fairly often, we'll Ok nearly every weekend. The odd get together would be a good idea. Maybe a cruise in company to here or there.

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

hlb

RIP
Visit site

You mean a club for those just interested. Those who have not actualy got one?? Bit like a football club. But no one playing. Right, got ya! Sorry were all ineligable!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn