Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

temptress

gbr195t.com
It is not working

I voted yes but I don't expect this ban to work in Greece and actually i don't mind. It is up top the locals to decide. :confused:

I have been In Rhodes and Athens in the last 4 weeks and did not see ANY sign of a smoking ban in any of the Tavernas. What I did see was a BIG lack of customers even in Plaka in Athens which is usually heaving with tourists even at this time of year. :(

PLEIAS

Visit site
Nearly 30 years ago Pink Floyd said it all
In The Flesh (Waters) 1:36

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show.
To feel that warm thrill of confusion,
That space cadet glow.
I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band
We're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a ****!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

saxonpirate

Visit site
Chill out...smokers are human too

Without naming names there's a certain individual out there in lovely sunny and friendly Greece who's obviously getting his knickers in a right old twist about the Greeks smoking.

It won't be the carcinogens from tobacco smoke that kills him, it will be a bloody great heart attack because of getting so stewed up about the piffling fact that the Greeks smoke in some restaurants. Idle hands....me thinks!

Jeez....you're lucky enough to be spending your retirement on a yacht in beautiful Greece, and obviously comfortable enough off to eat out in restaurants. What frigging more do you want. If people smoke in one restaurant just go to another. And as for you (a Brit) laying the law down to the Greeks in their own country...it beggars belief. Shove off to Turkey if you don't like it, and see how you get on there..

Anyway....I've enclosed a pic for a little light relief.....:D

blueglass

Visit site
Without naming names there's a certain individual out there in lovely sunny and friendly Greece who's obviously getting his knickers in a right old twist about the Greeks smoking.

It won't be the carcinogens from tobacco smoke that kills him, it will be a bloody great heart attack because of getting so stewed up about the piffling fact that the Greeks smoke in some restaurants. Idle hands....me thinks!

Jeez....you're lucky enough to be spending your retirement on a yacht in beautiful Greece, and obviously comfortable enough off to eat out in restaurants. What frigging more do you want. If people smoke in one restaurant just go to another. And as for you (a Brit) laying the law down to the Greeks in their own country...it beggars belief. Shove off to Turkey if you don't like it, and see how you get on there..

Anyway....I've enclosed a pic for a little light relief.....:D

sounds like more than one pair of knickers twisted!
as regards laying down the law to the Greeks - actually I thought it was their own law.

its been a while since I heard such an arrogant rant from a smoker defending his position. Most smokers (myself included as an occasional cigar smoker) have accepted that polluting other people's lungs and spoilng other people's meals is a tad anti social whether you are in Greece or anywhere else. just common courtesy and consideration, nothing more, nothing less.

nickcred

Visit site
Not Sure

sounds like more than one pair of knickers twisted!
as regards laying down the law to the Greeks - actually I thought it was their own law.

its been a while since I heard such an arrogant rant from a smoker defending his position. Most smokers (myself included as an occasional cigar smoker) have accepted that polluting other people's lungs and spoilng other people's meals is a tad anti social whether you are in Greece or anywhere else. just common courtesy and consideration, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure if you are refering to my posts as an arrogant rant ? You will see from them that I agree with you. It is antisocial and I would not smoke in a restaurant/bar unless it had been designated as such which they did in Spain, some where licensed to be smoking others not, people made their choice. I am not defending my position merely offering an alternative view point

Last edited:

blueglass

Visit site
Not sure f you are refering to my posts as an arrogant rant ? You will see from them that I agree with you. It is antisocial and I would not smoke in a restaurant/bar unless it had been designated as such which they did in Spain, some where licensed to be smoking others not, people made their choice. I am not defending my position merely offering an alternative view point

if you read again you will see that my post was in response to the arrogant rant (as quoted) by saxonpirate and not your more reasoned contribution.

Freshbreeze

Visit site
Why not have smoking or non-smoking bars clearly signposted?
Let market forces determine everything.
If the very vocal anti-smoking police are right then
all the bars will be non-smoking for economic reasons
rather than knee-jerk politicisation.
Cheers,
Chris

I travelled to amsterdam not so long back, and I loved the idea of being able to choose between Booze, Cannabis, tobacco, or a combination of the three.

The point being - If I wanted a quiet cannabis smoke in an atmosphere that does not contain the smell of booze or tobacco, I would choose a cannabis only venue.

If I want a booze up with no tobacco or cannabis smoke, I would choose a venue that only allows drinking.

Point made!

Boo2

Visit site
Why can't you smokers take on board that you have no right to pollute the atmosphere in a confined space like a restaurant or a pub and put the lives of others at risk from a proven carcenogenic sunstance?

Because we do have that right ? And you have the right to the frequent only non-smoking bars and restaurants that your free market idiotology so convincingly provides.

Hahahahahahaha !

Boo2

blueglass

Visit site
Because we do have that right ? And you have the right to the frequent only non-smoking bars and restaurants that your free market idiotology so convincingly provides.

Hahahahahahaha !

Boo2

Please provide a list of all these non smoking bars and restaurants in Greece. Let me know and I will gladly frequent them. your so called free market doesn't provide them - that's the point, and that's why (sadly) legislation is needed to do so. Without that legislation, even ultra law abiding (?) Britain did not offer that choice.
As a smoker you will have to accept eventually that your days of domination of all public places is over.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
That is exactly what I and most smokers do accept, what is being debated is if a bar/restuarant owner should be allowed to decide if he wishes his establishment to have smoking customers some would many would not. That way you have a choice as a non smoker to go to a non smoking restaurant or bar and smokers can choose to go to a smoking restaurant or bar. Freedom of choice to take part in what is still a legal activity.

From your post it would seem smokers should not be allowed and from the "shouty capital letter statement" should not be allowed to speak either.

I have absolutely NO objection to you participating in ANY activity. Problem with smoking is, unlike the whisky in my glass, it cannot be confined to the participant. If you wore a diving suit with some sort of air scrubber attached, then all would be fine.

The other smokers' responses here border on the manic, not to mention the mis-informed and are certainly selfish. I will therefor ignore their idiotic rants.

i would agree that you don't get a fair deal in the space allotted at pubs but then you have to remember that the measure was introduced by the most controlling government this country has ever known.

Chas

DaiB

Visit site
the poll

"Would you like the bars/coffee shops to be "No Smoking" in Lefkas and surrounds."

I am a visitor to the country so the choice as I see it is to either, accept the country you are visiting as it is, or to foxtrot oscar back to your own country.:D

As far as the no smoking ban in the UK is concerned there was no reason that a system of smoking or no smoking areas/rooms etc couldn't have been worked out to keep everybody happy, well except for those who would hate to be happy.:)

Lastly lookout the pissheads and fat *******s as your next on the list for banning!!!:D

blueglass

Visit site
"Would you like the bars/coffee shops to be "No Smoking" in Lefkas and surrounds."

I am a visitor to the country so the choice as I see it is to either, accept the country you are visiting as it is, or to foxtrot oscar back to your own country.:D

As far as the no smoking ban in the UK is concerned there was no reason that a system of smoking or no smoking areas/rooms etc couldn't have been worked out to keep everybody happy, well except for those who would hate to be happy.:)

Lastly lookout the pissheads and fat *******s as your next on the list for banning!!!:D

another measured response.

nickcred

Visit site
Measured responses would be nice blueglass I agree :)

An update on Greece http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11148448

Thought this was fairly interesting but more of a comment on our skewed legal system than the smoking ban

"Local man found guilty of mugging an old lady - fined £240; Youth found guilty of stealing over 20 cars and racing them through the streets - fined £185; Landlord found guilty of failing to prevent smoking in a non smoking area - fined £10,50

Also interesting http://takingliberties.squarespace.com/taking-liberties/2010/9/6/smoking-ban-and-pub-closures.html

Although he seems to have an agenda

As I understand it MP's can still smoke in the house of commons bar?

Now it is time for me to give up smoking. Incidently I am probably the most anti-smoking smoker ever if you tell me you are about to start, wish I had never started but there are better ways than this witch hunt. Billions in taxes and VAT, Billions spent on healthcare also, but still not illegal. Does the revenue from smokers outweigh the cost or am I being cynical?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Why not have smoking or non-smoking bars clearly signposted?
Let market forces determine everything.
If the very vocal anti-smoking police are right then
all the bars will be non-smoking for economic reasons
rather than knee-jerk politicisation.
Cheers,
Chris

Xtiffer has it right. Just because the British are forcing pubs to close down because of the no smoking rules why should the Greeks follow suit. If people don't want to use a smoking bar/pub then they can use a non smoking one. The Germans, Spanish, Finns and many others have relaxed the rules in various ways to save their boozers why are we so intent on crucifying ours. Let market forces dictate.

No Regrets

Visit site
Even as a smoker, I find the habit repulsive.

I have therefore turned to Electronic fags. (E Cigs)

They are pretty close to real ones, but safer, and cheaper to smoke, once purchased.

Worth a punt if anybody is interested!

You can use them indoors, in Pubs, Airport lounges etc, they are exempt from UK regulations.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Even as a smoker, I find the habit repulsive.

I have therefore turned to Electronic fags. (E Cigs)

They are pretty close to real ones, but safer, and cheaper to smoke, once purchased.

Worth a punt if anybody is interested!

You can use them indoors, in Pubs, Airport lounges etc, they are exempt from UK regulations.

Airlines ban their use though and I'm not sure if you can get one past airport security. I have had one for about 3 years. That they are an aid there's no doubt. They don't taste anything like a fag though.

saxonpirate

Visit site
its been a while since I heard such an arrogant rant from a smoker defending his position.

Actually bluegrass I'm a non smoker..... I gave up before Mr Bliar and his Nu Labour cronies took over the job of socially engineering smokers into being derided and hated by their fellow countrymen. A clever policy of course, divide and rule, turn people against each other. The think tanks know their stuff when it comes to the sheeple, they knew that the self righteous were out there waiting for a cause. A badge to wear.

Ok...I know we are having a bit of banter and a kick around on this forum, but I feel things like the smoking ban are totally divisive, and were meant to be. I think the new buzzword is 'Nudge Politics'. Of coarse I'm aware of the health risks associated with smoking, that's why I gave up. Would I appreciate someone breathing all over me and blowing smoke in my face, no I wouldn't. But...if I felt so strongly that just a whiff of cigarette smoke would ruin an evening out, then I'd spend that evening where I wasn't going to have my nostrils assaulted. Don't just moan like a true Brit... go somewhere else and have a nice time.

One thing I wanted to say on UK pubs was this... A local that I used to go to was divided into two sections with an archway joining the two but still relatively open plan. One half of the pub had darts, pool etc and smokers. There was superb ventilation. The other side catered for the more genteel and had both a small restaurant and a bar snacks area. In that area you couldn't smell even a trace of cigarette smoke. That pub was busy and jovial every day of the week, there were no fights between smokers and non-smokers...I was a regular there. That very same pub is now virtually deserted, there's no atmosphere...it's awful...and I don't give it long before closure. The smokers had to go to an open shelter in the pub garden....Fancy a wet, cold, windy night anyone?.

So back to Greece.... I know it very well, and I know that the Greeks even smoke while snorkeling but heh! Just enjoy Greece for what it is. Sure..it's obviously a bit annoying if you (really can't stand cigarette smoke) but maybe you've just got to take on board that at this moment in time you are in a land of smokers. It's their land not yours, you are a tourist and it ain't the UK.....and that's probably why you're there.

Couldn't resist the pic below...

_45993672_police_getty.jpg

Last edited:

gavin_lacey

Visit site
In england pubs are closing every day as the predominantly smoking clientel stay at home. The non smokers who claimed that they would go to pubs if only they didnt get kippered have been found out. Sanctimonious bull****ters who have not started going to the now smokefree and empty pubs. But they are happy in the knowledge that they could go to a smokefree pub if they wanted to - except it has closed. As with lifejackets - the right to choose. And that should include the owners of privately owned drinking establishments. To call privatly owned establishments public spaces is spin of the highest order, typical of those who would control every aspect your life.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
NO NO NO

You cannot adopt that attitude when countries form themselves together into a union and agree to adhere to the laws and rules of that union. You either take it all or you leave it all. It's that simple

Chas