Smelly

Artie

Visit site
I have an electric powered sea toilet on my boat that can be diverted either to sea or to a holding tank. The tank is vented and also has an anti syphon breather outboard. The top of the tank is accessible through "portholes" that are seated into O rings and all the fittings are well sealed.
After a roughish passage or after leaving the boat closed for a few days then there is a residual smell identical to the smell we all know about when the cess cart comes to empty the pits in Guernsey or the I.O.Wight.
The only thing I can think of using to stop the smell is the Blue liquid that is recommended for deck top emptying. Unfortunately my tank is emptied through the hull via a Vetus pump. I am told that the "Blue" damages the rubber seals in these pumps - so can any one:
a) think of another method to stop the smell
b)tell me how quickly the seals on the Vetus pump will break down if I use the "Blue"
c)tell me if replacing these seals is a difficult job

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
Why blame the seals, when it's more likely that the hoses connecting toilet to holding tank are probably now permeable unless you changed them in the last couple of years.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Welcome. You have come to the right place. And being the author of the infamous EXPLODING TOILET post of many years back. I feel I have the authority to respond.

Now listen carefully and I'll begin.

Dont do wot I did and leave it sloshing around down there for months.
Or we will get another rendition of THE EXPLODING BOG!

When you arrive at boat. Switch on sea cocks and pump the toilet a good few times. A bit of cookig oil down the loe helps stop the plumbing squeeking. Use the blue stuff if you like. I use yellow stuff sometimes. But it dont make much difference.

I usually forget all this so get the pong after an hour or two.

The good news is. That once it's had a fart it feels much better and does not do it again till next time!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Artie

Visit site
Thanks - but I am not blaming the seals. The boat is only 2 years old. There is a smell, the pipes are not permiable and are well connected. therefore I am asking how long the seals would last if I did use the Blue deodouriser

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont know about the blue stuff, but use the yellow stuff. It's made for the job and lubricates as well. Oh just go and flush it a few times. Open the windows!!........./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Piers

www.playdeau.com
The problem is more than likely caused by the anaerobic fermentation within the black water tank. This creates hydrogen sulphide and methane - the equivalent of flatulence.

There are tablets and liquids you can use, but the relief is temporary.

If you really want to stop it, you need to stop the anaerobic fermentation and start the aerobic going. To do this, you need to pump small amounts of fresh air into the tank's contents - rather like the air pump into a fish aquarium. This will eradicate the pong. A good aquarium pump will suffice.

As well as this, keep the tank as cleaned out as poss. Lots of flushing and emptying. This all goes to keeping the tank 'sweet'.

Suppliers of heads should know where to source the kit. The only drawback is that you need power to run it, when when off the boat. Typically, it would need to be on some 10 hours out of 24.

<hr width=100% size=1>Piers du Pré
www.playdeau.com

DepSol

Visit site
Just like to say welcome to Roger.

Another Guern on this site, we now definately outnumber the Jersey folk even if you include Piers :)

Where do you moor your boat Roger, QEII or Albert? Keith at Herm Seaway has some stufff which he uses for smelly toilets, cant remember what it is called go into the shop and ask Danny what to use, he'll know. BTW they are Jabsco agents so can help in all aspects of this.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Artie

Visit site
Hi Dom - any relation to John a photographer who I worked with on the archeology on the "Valentine" years ago off Sark when I was diving.
In answer to your question - QEII G44 but am in Griffins Yard for a fortnight for my Spring Clean/Service.
Thanks for the info on Herm Seaway - I will visit next week when I pick up my life raft from AB next door.
2003 is going to be a great year for us all I hope!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Yes John was my Dad. He used to do alot of photography on boats and also did some freelance journalism.

Do you have any of those photographs? Was on G pontoon last week doing a photo shoot for the Guernsey Press.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me