Smelly Sea Toilet Pipes

mica

Visit site
We fitted new sea toilet pipes a couple of season ago, in order to loop them up to the deck head. Unfortunately we used the ordinary piping not realising the difference between the odour free piping and the ordinary cheaper version.

Now they are producing an unpleasant odour, which we are unable to get rid of, having tried flushing them with bleach and allow various toilet cleaners to stay in the pipe overnight etc etc. Question is : Does anyone know how to rid these pipes of the odour, other than the obvious of replacing all the pipework with the odour free type. Any tips will be gratefully received.

RayJones

Visit site
I have found that it is the condition of the intake water that causes the smell in our sea toilet. Itdepends on the amount of weed and miniature marine creatures active at the time. ( I think ).
How do you know its the pipes that smell? or do you mean the toilet smells when you open the lid?
My fix has been, chuck a bucket of fresh water down the dunny every couple of flushes and then pump out to just above the outlet ( to maintain a water seal, and then bung in some disifectant. It works for me!
Good Luck
Ray Jones

G

I had the same problem with the loo on a Leisure 23. A bucket of clean water, from the tap on the pontoon, flushed through just before we left cleared the smell of rotton eggs for me.

The best fix though is the proper pipe.

Cheers
John Dillon

mica

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, but it is not the sulphuric rotten egg smell you get when you first use it after a period of unuse. It is a smell from the pipes themselves, not the loo.

G

Yes I had that - the smell seems to diffuse into and then through the pipe walls. Dosing with anything is unlikely to improve the smell of the pipe as it only affects the inner surface - it looks as though you will have to change the pipes I'm afraid.

G

Heady smells pervaded our 5-year old boat, and after extensive discussion with builders, other owners, etc, concluded it was the pipes. It is imperative you use pipes designed for sewage use, and even they are slightly porous, and do absorb material which eventually smells from the outside of the pipe. There is no solution except to replace all hoses in due course. The good news (I am told) is that there are better quality pipes available today, which should last longer. I had the lot replaced this last winter (I have a complex system with multiple holding tanks and pumpout systems, so coward that I am I had the builders do it - 12 separate pipes) and it has completely solved the problem. I have also installed a Lee Sanitation disinfectant injector on the seawater inlet to the head - the blue tablets are expensive (as discussed in another recent thread), and it is too soon to tell if it helps, but I have heard good reports. I think it is especially helpful if you pump to tank frequently - they tell me it keeps the holding tank sweet (more or less, so to speak).

dick_james

Visit site
We had the same problem, definitely the pipes. You will have to change them! I changed to Vetus sanitory piping and so far no more problem. I was told to pump out regularly whether it was needed or not, especially in the summer, once a week. I was also told (as one of the other respondants commented) that even the best pipes are slightly porous. If you have a system where the liquid doesn't drain from all the piping ie. it tends to 'pool' in low areas of the pipe (like mine) then that also increases the tendancy to smell.
Good luck!

G

You can get temporary relief, excuse the expression, by wrapping the pipes in aluminium foil or "tin" foil - the stuff you cook with.

G

Try the May 2001 issue of Motor Boats Monthly. It may be of help in the heads department.
letocq

G

I agree with others that you should see Peggie Hall's site for anything to do with poop, but in the meantime, try wrapping the pipes in clingfilm. Good luck.