"Smallest" UK Record

G

Does anyone know the record for sailing the smallest boat around the UK and what it is and who holds it?

I recently read in PBO(413) that a Voyager 13'4'' has completed this voyage, however I also heard that Stuart Hill (aka "Captain Calamity") in his boat "Maximum Exposure" 14' was trying to set a record. Can anyone help?

Best wishes, John

B

bob_tyler

Re: \"Smallest\" UK Record

Captain Calamity has done it again. Total costs of rescuing the idiot are mounting - now quoted as over £30,000!

It's this sort of stupidity which could eventually result in licencing for all. It gives a good excuse for further interference in freedoms by our present Police State.

KrisHansen

Visit site
Captain Calamity

Are the RNLI under any obligation to save one's vessel as well as one's life? I know that floating debris is a danger to other craft, but I think I'd be tempted to let her sink - it might temporarily relieve the strain on the lifeboat by keeping the man ashore.

Or maybe, the boys on the lifeboat could drag him aboard, tie him up and force him to listen to Shipping Forecasts and do navigation excercises for 72 hours solid. I think it's the only way he's going to learn...

- Kris Hansen

G

Re: Captain Calamity and etiquette

Kris

As "Captain Calamity" has probably wrung more salt water out of his socks than you have apparently sailed over I suggest that you cut him a little more slack.

Four points to consider are:

1. He is trying to sail around Britain to raise money for charity.

2. Most of the RNLI "call-outs" have been by misguided members of the public (rather than by the Cap'n himself).

3. There has never been any question as to the man's sailing ability - it's just that the craft he is using and the equipment onboard is probably inadequate for what he is trying to achieve.

4. He has had to contend with some of the most variable summer weather patterns I can personally recall.

You ask in another post about "etiquette". As a general rule one worldwide "etiquette" is to be very careful where you point critical fingers.

From my point of view your comments would have been more welcome if they had been made after you had purchased a small seaworthy yacht - put together a few sponsors for charity and completed your own solo circumnavigation of the UK(without assistance from the RNLI).

If you fancy the challenge for 2002 I will personally sponsor the charity of your choice to the tune of £1 for every 10 miles of UK coastline that you sail past.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

KrisHansen

Visit site
Re: Captain Calamity and etiquette

Ahem. Okay, I seem to have offended someone.

I just wrote about three pages of self-righteous blarb, but I deleted it - I'm not going to bother. You're right about me - I'm inexperienced at sea. But I know a little about it, based upon over a decade of river sailing and study of seafaring.

Regarding Mr Hill: the article I read reported him picked up 52 miles off the coast of Shetland - somewhat further offshore than even someone of my inexperience would expect for a UK circumnavigation. Even if we aren't questioning his sailing ability, I'd question his navigational skills... but that's not really the issue.

The issue is *responsibility* - he set off in a vessel with a sailboard rig, minus a VHF radio, amongst other things. However many 'false alarms' caused the lifeboat to be launched, there are several in which he did need rescuing, including one incident in which "[Hill's] mobile phone was waterlogged and inoperative"!!! Lives were risked on those occasions, and charity is not an excuse. I have no doubt that he has the very best intentions in the world, but it is just downright irresponsible.

I'll undertake your challenge - if I believe myself, my vessel and my equipment capable - and donate your generous sponsorship money to the RNLI in the hope of making up some of the money spent on rescuing "Maximum Exposure". If these three criteria are not met, then the deal's off - I wouldn't want to risk the lives of those aboard the lifeboat.

- Kris Hansen

jamesjermain

Visit site
The ship, not the live.

Strange though it may seem to us now, it was only comparatively recently (early eighties, I believe), when the MayDay rules were changed.

Before then, a MayDay call could ONLY be put out if a VESSEL was in imminent danger. The lifeboat then had a responsibility to rescue the crew, but not the vessel (try row-towing a 300 ton trader in a storm!).

Theoretically, if a crew went overboard, you could not put out a MayDay. This has now changed and either life or the vessel can be in imminent danger. Lifeboat crews try to save the boat, if it is possible, but not if so doing puts the crew of the lifeboat at risk. The RNLI has no legal or other responsibility for the boat.

JJ

G

Re: Captain Calamity

The RNLI is under NO obligation to save a vessel, only life. However it is at the discretion of the coxon as to whether the vessel is saved. So I think your probably right, the next time this guy gets in trouble,save him but leave the boat.