Small speedboats today...who makes 'em, and are the new ones as cute as the old?

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
I don't dislike the Cobra at all - in fact I like all those posted above! I'm a great fan of the 70's/80's sleeker designs over the more functional but bulbous modern successors. I suppose it's inevitable that we become more practical and that designers make more space available to reflect market demand, but for me at least, they start to lose the magic! Who want's practicality when you can have pure uncompromising style... :rolleyes::cool: It's a good job I'm not rich or I could quite easily become a classic sportsboat collector! :eek:

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
a
Is it just me that thinks that bayliner cobra looks bloody awful?

The sims super v, fletchers and the old sunseekers look nice, but that bayliner just looks so dated.

My favourite old'ish boat is the sunseeker Hawk 27.

sunseeker-hawk-27-60801060052951656551484854694548x.jpg

Well I don't think the Cobra looks awful but I am with you on the Sunseeker, it also seems to have a more useful cuddy. The cuddy on the Cobra (I've been on board the one I was looking at) has two sideways on bucket seats with seat belts (goodness knows why anyone would want to be below whilst batting along) and little else! Still love it!

Dave_Snelson

I don't dislike the Cobra at all - in fact I like all those posted above! I'm a great fan of the 70's/80's sleeker designs over the more functional but bulbous modern successors. I suppose it's inevitable that we become more practical and that designers make more space available to reflect market demand, but for me at least, they start to lose the magic! Who want's practicality when you can have pure uncompromising style... :rolleyes::cool: It's a good job I'm not rich or I could quite easily become a classic sportsboat collector! :eek:

Me too!

Dino

Visit site
Was always a fan of the Dateline Bounty with the out drive or the jet. The Broom Aquarius with the spoiler was cool too.
The real James Bond boats were 60's and 70's Glastrons.

Visit site
Wow - you have a fab boat, good luck with the restoration. I remember well the stir that Sims made when they launched the Super V. It was the must have boat of the day and it's styling has held up well.
Thanks.
I was very surprised when I cut some inspection holes in the floor to check its condition and the stringers below. The floor is original and the space below is completely filled with foam which has no sign of water damage. Stringers are all fully encased in fibreglass and rock solid. The original build quality must have been very good.
Ours will be having a traditional 80hp Yamaha 2s on the back. Wont be short on horses.
5695007_zps6bf57a83.jpg

I'm using the project to learn another skill, upholstery. managed to get myself a lovely 60s sewing machine that is happy sewing through 4 layers of vinyl so winter months will be spent practicing before reupholstering the complete boat.

Dave_Snelson

Thanks.
I was very surprised when I cut some inspection holes in the floor to check its condition and the stringers below. The floor is original and the space below is completely filled with foam which has no sign of water damage. Stringers are all fully encased in fibreglass and rock solid. The original build quality must have been very good.
Ours will be having a traditional 80hp Yamaha 2s on the back. Wont be short on horses.
5695007_zps6bf57a83.jpg

I'm using the project to learn another skill, upholstery. managed to get myself a lovely 60s sewing machine that is happy sewing through 4 layers of vinyl so winter months will be spent practicing before reupholstering the complete boat.

Well then Dave, restorations are big interest generators here on the MoBo forum; you won't be short on watchers or contributors. I do hope you will drop in regularly with photos and updates on your Sims.

PS - it'll go like sh*t off a stick with an 80 Yam on the back!!

Gavi

Visit site
I am rather fond of our little Broom. She is river based so has a small outboard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0

MapisM

Visit site
Awesome-looking boat, I agree...but is that the tow-vehicle???
LOL, naah, that was swmbo's car, before she changed it for the very same thing but in convertible version.
Otoh, she does call the thing her "small SUV", which is in fact the reason why she likes the pic a lot... :D