Small osmosis blisters in a 50 y.o. yacht - so what or dangerous?

Tiger Moth

Visit site
I may buy a cheap, old, small yacht with many small osmosis blisters - should I give two hoots and just sail it, or 2-pack paint it? If paint, what sort? Advice, please. The yacht will never have any significant value.

Stemar

Visit site

Small osmosis blisters in a 50 y.o. yacht - so what or dangerous?​

Very definitely so what.

However, as a buyer, the right thing to do is suck your teeth and say, Hmm, she's got osmosis, that's going to cost a bit to sort out. Oh dear. Tell you what, I'll take off your hands for £3.75.

When the boat's out of the water, you can grind 'em out & fill with epoxy if you can be bothered. Otherwise, forget them. Until you come to sell, when you can expect the buyer to invoke the paragraph above.

srm

Visit site
Make a really low offer, then enjoy sailing her. No point in painting unless you are going to do the job properly and fully dry the hull first. Hard to justify that on an old cheap boat. Just be aware that selling later may be difficult so don't spend more than it needs.

Mister E

Visit site
When I sold my last boat I insisted that blisters were mentioned in the advert.
Some bloke then tried to make an insulting offer because upon inspection he found blisters.
I told the broker not to sell it to him as he was going to be a pain. The idiot was upset as I wouldn't sell him a nice boat.

If the price is right and you were told about them just buy it and enjoy.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Not a big deal, Stenar's advice above is good.
Given the difference a smooth underwater hull makes to good sailing, I would probably get her out at some stage, get all the old antifoul off, grind out the blisters, fill with epoxy then do a bit of general filling and fairing before antifouling again. But only if you feel like it and have the time and energy for a rather unpleasant job.

wully1

Visit site
Not a big deal, Stenar's advice above is good.
Given the difference a smooth underwater hull makes to good sailing, I would probably get her out at some stage, get all the old antifoul off, grind out the blisters, fill with epoxy then do a bit of general filling and fairing before antifouling again. But only if you feel like it and have the time and energy for a rather unpleasant job.
I’ve just, almost, finished that job. Of course I noticed a few blisters I’d missed when prepping to antifoul - I’ll get them next time she’s out.
TBH, cutting back and polishing the topsides was a much harder job than grinding, filling and fairing the blisters and they make no difference to the structure.

hurley

Visit site
I would just add it would be worth getting a small plastic hammer and sounding the hull all over to see if there is any delamination in the chop strand. With very small blisters it's highly unlikely as back in the day before much was know about grp construction they were often "over engineered". If you have a look on you tube there are several very informative videos on this. You should be able to find one with a qualified surveyor showing how it's done. Just also be sure to pay for this condition priced in. Good luck

Refueler

Visit site
I would just add it would be worth getting a small plastic hammer and sounding the hull all over to see if there is any delamination in the chop strand. With very small blisters it's highly unlikely as back in the day before much was know about grp construction they were often "over engineered". If you have a look on you tube there are several very informative videos on this. You should be able to find one with a qualified surveyor showing how it's done. Just also be sure to pay for this condition priced in. Good luck

I would suggest a metal domed item that fits the palm of hand ... the idea is to listen for the different sound ... and metal is best for this ...