Small gas bottle availability Ireland?

pagoda

Visit site
Does anybody know if the small (3.9Kg) Calor Propane bottles can be had in Ireland? The small bottles are often used by roofing contractors as they are not too heavy. We use them because they work better than Butane in cold weather. We're doing Ireland clockwise this season.

Cheers

lpdsn

Visit site
Met Eireann reckon summer temperatures the year will be high enough to use butane.

To be honest I don't remember seeing places advertising the Calor propane bottles - most marina's will have Camping Gaz, but you'll probably find a hardware store that does them.

VicS

Visit site
Does anybody know if the small (3.9Kg) Calor Propane bottles can be had in Ireland? The small bottles are often used by roofing contractors as they are not too heavy. We use them because they work better than Butane in cold weather. We're doing Ireland clockwise this season.

Cheers

ITYWF that 6kg is the smallest Calor propane cylinder available in ROI but the 4.5kg butane cylinders are available so no need to change to Camping Gaz

http://www.calorgas.ie/retailers-cylinders/cylinder-products/

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
We used Butane on Orkney when we lived there, surprised that you would need it in the mild coast of Ireland.

pagoda

Visit site
We used Butane on Orkney when we lived there, surprised that you would need it in the mild coast of Ireland.

We changed a few winters ago - sailing on the Clyde in March and October isn't always that warm. I don't really want to swap bottles again?

Steve_N

Visit site
Also be aware that propane (excluding the 'Patio Gas' clip-on ones) in NI uses the same POL connector as in the UK while the ROI bottles use a 21.8LH connection, the same as butane cylinders do in the UK.

lpdsn

Visit site
I was in South Dublin this morning and a truck passed me with yellow Calor Gas cylinders on the back. Larger than your size but it's a start. I tried a search on the company name on the truck. Nothing on the first page, and I didn't go any futher, but I did find this: www.calorgas.ie

PS Just spotted VicS has already posted a link.

VicS

Visit site
We changed a few winters ago - sailing on the Clyde in March and October isn't always that warm. I don't really want to swap bottles again?

A bulkhead mounted 30mb ( dual fuel) regulator, a pigtail hose with M20 end fittings and a selection of cylinder adapters
http://www.whayward.com/Results.cfm?category=23&secondary=25
will allow you to use a wide range of cylinders, including the ubiquitous Camping Gaz, without alteration of the basic installation

4060kit.png

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
A regulator for butane will only cost about £7 and just undo clips and swap over so not costly to be adaptable, however to get full butane cylinder you need to hand one in as exchange. I have exchanged butane cylinders for propane of same size but with slightly differing sizes and in Ireland it might be harder. Surprised if prpan not available in Ireland though as used by roofers and suchlike who work outdoors in winter.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've been thinking about this, odd I know.

I usually carry two bottles One in use and a full spare. However, there is a second spare in the shed that I fill and bring into use on longer trips giving me more capacity. Also on a longer trip as soon as the in use bottle gets up I get that replaced. Eventually, the second spare is returned to the shed.

If you can get your hands on a second spare that might sort out the problem.