Small Cruiser

CarlandJudy

Visit site
We're looking for a small (20 - 24ft) second hand sailing cruiser £10,000 - 15,000 which is both trailerable and moorable/anchorable on a swinging mooring. She must provide simple accommodation for a weekend and be easy to sail. She would spend 6 months on the mooring (sheltered sea) and 6 months stored on land.
We have looked at the Beneteau First 210 and really like this but she is not properly equipped for mooring/anchoring (see PBO comments June 1993 - "foredeck - modest cleat and a stemhead fitting which incorporated what I felt were token fairleads - one open the other closed").
2 questions - How practical would it be to modify the First 210/211 for secure sea mooring? What alternative boats are there for us to consider?

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site
My last boat was a Dehler 25 trailer sailer, water ballast. V. fast, great to sail and good cabin space (though low on headroom). Used to cruise her for a fortnights holiday with family of four! Bit longer than you have suggested but a really great little boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
in that price/size range, consider a sonata (around 4K) or the twin-keel version, the duette for 9K. weight around 1.1 tons & easily trailed behind a large car or 4x4

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I would say that the First 210/211 is a good choice for what you want and is unsinkable. It shouldn't be too complicated to fit a bow roller.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

danera

dixdesign.com
I've owned a first 211 based in Essex for 6 months now & am very happy with it. Just spent a week cruising the Dorest coast including 2 nights at anchor (Lulworth & Chapman Pool), and the anchor arrangement is a bit of annoyance but not enough to put me off having such a fun boat to sail. Addressing some of the criticisms:

- fairleads: easily fixed with a length of split hose. They are too sharp & will cut your lines if left for prolonged lengths of time, but seen that on many a boat. For a mooring you could also utilise the trailer winch attachment point.

- lack of anchor roller: the starboard bow is getting rather scratched up from manhandling the anchor/chain over the side. Tempted to fix a stainless steel guard over this area, can then also bypass the fairleads in some mooring cases.

- size of mooring cleats: I think I might get some thinner mooring lines! With a bit of juggling you can live with this.

The only other caveat is that I managed to wrap the anchor line arround the keel in a wind vs tide anchorage with too much rode out. I had to take a quick dip to sort this out.

<hr width=100% size=1>