Slippery bottom?

Neeves

Visit site
It is not abrasion resistant, it is easily damaged. You need to use your yacht regularly. If you apply it and change your mind there is no simple removal and without some expense nothing else will then stick to the hull, except fouling organisms. It may contain carcinogens.

Its been tried on large commercial vessels, many have reverted to 'conventional' AF.

If it was as good as suggested we (you and I) would have been using it 10 years ago (and cost now would be reduced and conventional AF a relic of the past).

I recall International trialed it on a racing yacht some, many, years ago. If it was a success we would know.

The concept works on props etc - but they work quickly and often (google Prop Speed). But I am pretty sure given Prop Speeds market penetration - if it worked - they would have done it (we would know)

Things may change

Jonathan

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We used our fouling release coated race boat three times a week. That wasn’t enough for it to be self cleaning. We’ve gone for copper coat on Chiara. At least you can scrub it without damage. No. It doesn’t stop all the weed but it cleans up nicely, even after a winter with little use. And it’s very smooth.

geem

Visit site
We used our fouling release coated race boat three times a week. That wasn’t enough for it to be self cleaning. We’ve gone for copper coat on Chiara. At least you can scrub it without damage. No. It doesn’t stop all the weed but it cleans up nicely, even after a winter with little use. And it’s very smooth.
The smoothness thr bottom that you cana Chieveley with Coppercoat is one of the things people forget. Worth a bit more speed🙂

Zing

Visit site
Consider ‘rough’ golf balls are faster for not being smooth. Maybe a bit of rough is what we all need.

chriscallender

Visit site
Consider ‘rough’ golf balls are faster for not being smooth. Maybe a bit of rough is what we all need.
I seem to remember that is because golf balls spin, and the roughness allows them to be somewhat steered in flight by people skilled at golf, ie not by me. Now sailing boats also spin, at least they do when going down the Alderney Race with a large spring tide behind them and they hit a whirlpool (I know this for a certain fact :cool:) so you could be on to something.

Chris

geem

Visit site
I seem to remember that is because golf balls spin, and the roughness allows them to be somewhat steered in flight by people skilled at golf, ie not by me. Now sailing boats also spin, at least they do when going down the Alderney Race with a large spring tide behind them and they hit a whirlpool (I know this for a certain fact :cool:) so you could be on to something.

Chris
I don't think so. Golf balls spin in air. A compressible fluid. Boats sail in water. A none compressible fluid. Racers go for super smooth bottoms as they know they get more speed. Golf balls in air and boats in water have no fluid dynamic similarities