Slagging off suppliers: above all that?

tcm

Visit site
Twister Ken suggests a rogues gallery of suppliers. But I am very wary.

Firstly, hereabouts, the search and find facilities haven't proven great. Secondly, service varies over time and between different individuals in the same company. Thirdly, "good" service varies according to the expectations and requirements of the recipient. Fourthly, its fine if IPC rate one boat as excellent value over it's competitors: but a Rogues Gallery would essentially give a Official List of Crap Suppliers, and be very open to abuse without thorough research to verify and evaluate each complaint. For example, if one supplier charges more than another for an item, that isn't ipso facto a "total ripoff", as some seem to claim. Conversely, the supply of new boats for thousands of pounds that simply don't work seems to be often quieltly accepted. So there's too much variance across the expectations of all posters.

I'd prefer to stay with the (reasonably policed/moderated ) "hit and run" posts here and there, which disappear off the bottom of the list.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
How about the inverse - a list of suppliers who give remorselessly good service. I can think of a few. That's a list people would want to be on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Hall of Fame

Now, i totally agree with that. But then, kim never got round to the hall of fame of posts. So, i bet nothing wil happen. Good idea tho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Yes also agree with that, maybe under different categories for easy future reference. Name and shame far too open for abuse, ie competitors could post false info. Unlikely to happen with your idea.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
slagging off Kim

Very Brave....there'll be a price my laddie, no doubt about it.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Agree, but then smoke and fire come into the equation at some point. If we had the gallery of good suppliers it would be full of dealers, chandlers & brokers staff making postings.

One of the benefits of being an RYA member is that you can ask their legal team about suppliers in a round about sort of way; "are you familiar with ....." "Do you have much contact with ......" "Have you seen their T&C......."

This will give an indication of sorts, so will local CAB's in general but not sure on boats if that interested.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Mother\'s wisdom

My mother always taught me if you are going to do a job, then do it well.

The hall of fame (and similarly, the FAQ forum) ideas seemed, at the face of it, to be a simple requirement of transferring threads across. But, once considered, to work well, both need their threads to be thinned out and, in some cases, edited, to be of maximum use. Which is why it hasn't happened yet.

Nothing is lost, it is all in the archive (even the sin bin although I doubt you'll see much re-emerge from there) and I haven't forgotten those ideas...

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Public Humiliation

You see Matts my old fruitbowl, I told you no good would come of it - I may be a goat, even cantankerous at times, certainly ageing, but you'll have to be up early to catch me receiving such a delicate and yet well phrased and timely put down.
Tee hee hee

Claymore

tcm

Visit site
Re: Public Humiliation

huh, I don't call that a public humiliation. Anyway, i bet his mum REALLY said what the hell's going on here, or come on kimmy it is definitely bedtime, or no, you can't have sixteen jam sandwiches.

For reall humilaition, you could come along to meet the HM this afternoon at 3:15. The new HM wears bowties, and the underling teachers repeatedly ttry to shop smallish son age 14 to him. This afternoon's meeting has been suggested by the wassock housemaster of lower school (time in service 24 years, promotions =0) becos there have been "problems" in france at the french exchange. Actually there seems no actual evidence, just heresay. After that bit is over and depsite complete lack of evidence they dish out some punishment, I plan to ambush the meting late on and request 50% reduction in fees for son number 2, the meeting thereby costing them 30 grand for wasting my afternoon. I am hoping for additional advice from learned expert in educational matters/meetings?

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
Re: \'ang on a minute

Surely a hall of fame is just as flawed as the rogues gallery? Praise may be due to one member of staff 'over' performing in much the same way as a brickbat defended due to the 'under' performance of another individual. Surely claims of good service would have to be investigated (for validity) in the same way as poor service would. It might be better to have a suppliers service score which encompasses both good and bad scores. This is not disimilar to the JD Power car survey (which also has its critics). It's true that expectations may differ given the broad church of boaters, but the same is true of cars. The only probem with a gallery (of any sort) is that it is only based on a self-selected sample so you are likely to get only the very good and the very bad - with nothing much in between.

Generally though, I think any information is better than no information. The motor press is incredibly critical of manufacturers and dealers (often unfairly) yet still manages to get advertising revenues from them - and very few accusations of toadying to advertisers too - unlike the boating press.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site

OK - we really need to see how the Overseas Residential Study Visit was matched to the Curriculum. Thew school year is short enough and so every opportunity to offer and receive learning must be maximised. These things can so often be little more than a window dressing exercise " All students have the opportunity to undertake overseas study visits" but often offer little in terms of expanding much except libido on mixed sex trips
We always expect 'hanky-panky' but The Risk Assessment completed before departure should address such issues and suggest coping strategies so you would really need to know why the predetermined strategies have failed and therefore how there came to be a period of unsupervised time when things got out of control.
The cost per head of the trip will undoubtably produce evidence that you have in fact paid for the tutors to go on this trip and so all the more reason why the 'in loco parentis' bit should be applied. If money has gone missing, damage to property or alcohol is involved, this can only in effect take place when supervision is inadequate. I'd be trying that for starters.

Claymore

tcm

Visit site

hm. But lack of appearance on a hall of fame isn't in itself damning, or hobbling their business, in the same ways as would appearance on a rogues gallery.

Agree with the comment about cars etc. Not sure this was the case some years ago tho. My old autocar magazines were very praising about er hillman avenger and I even had a review (until the Clearout) of a Norton Commando which included the phrase "some vibration was apparent". Perhaps boaty press will get more "shock jocky" in time? Though not at all sure that many (clarkson) are very informed and just rabbit on about image. At the moment boat testers are careful to identify the decent stuf amongst the notso decent, and i think getting noticeably braver.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

Excellent i have printed it off for reference and will report back.

Nothing very serious. He barged about a bit, answered back, chatted whilst teachers explaining and the driver went for him when he barged on the coach. Pretty normal behavious for a 14 yr old i think...

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site

Hardly a hanging matter
What goes on tour stays on tour is my Golden Rule - it you cannot deal with it at the time then you've lost the moment and its a bit sad to regurgitate it at some later date. Might explain the 24 years and no promotion - probably spends much of his time gazing at his tonsils from up his arse.

Claymore

DeeGee

Visit site

Here's a suggestion...
Where one has really bad service, evidence of outrageous prices (by comparison with the same thing from a camping shop, for example) etc...

1. Attempt to get some reasonable response from the company concerned.
2. Failing that, compose a factual, non-libellous statement.
3. Send the statement to the company, with an invitation for comment, expressing your intention to post to SB.
4. With no satisfaction, you post to SB, along with any response you have had from them.

If everyone who felt strongly enough about name and shame etc, would follow such a procedure (remember the non-libellous bit) I am sure the word would get about quite quickly, and there may be some beneficial effect.

That's my pennorth.

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Here here

'if you cannot deal with it at the time then you've lost the moment '

1987 rugby tour to unspecified school
anway whole party ( couple of teachers too) went a bit stir crazy. all dealt with on tour.

post tour house master merely called offenders in and said i understand you've misbehaved you've had your bollocking but if i hear of it happening again i will hang you out to dry.

if the offenders cannot be dealt with on the trip maybe you should question the competance of those accompanying said students.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

zefender

Visit site

Ah, but that kind of behaviour would never be tolerated in a comprehensive.
Suggest immediate change of schooling, massive saving in fees and transport, entry to Bristol uni, free Sunny Delight etc etc - only partly offset by risk of future fees for legal defences.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

"What goes on tour stays on tour" - an excellent line. I might use that. Indeed, since i have um no other lines, i almost definitely will.

<hr width=100% size=1>