Skiros, any recent experiences there?

Debs15

Visit site
We are looking to go to Skiros shortly.
Does anyone have any recent experience of the bays and main town harbour?
Has the harbour now been developed and how safe is it?
Your advice is much appreciated.

drawp

Linaria on Skiros - not to be missed.
It has been developed as a marina and is well maintained - lazy lines, water, electricity and showers - so there is a charge - 16 Euros for an 11 metre boat for two nights last year. It is fairly sheltered in all directions. When we were there in Sept last year the Kastro on the NE side was closed for repair but Skiros town under the Kastro is a pleasant to visit by taxi.

Debs15

Visit site
Linaria on Skiros - not to be missed.
It has been developed as a marina and is well maintained - lazy lines, water, electricity and showers - so there is a charge - 16 Euros for an 11 metre boat for two nights last year. It is fairly sheltered in all directions. When we were there in Sept last year the Kastro on the NE side was closed for repair but Skiros town under the Kastro is a pleasant to visit by taxi.
Thanks Drawp!
Sounds good. We are awaiting very strong NE winds at the weekend then heading there. Didnt want to be there in 30-40 knots when we didnt know the place! Looking forward to exploring the island.

noelex

Visit site
We are there at the moment, but anchored, I am not a great fan of marinas :)

I took a walk into Linaria a couple of days ago. There is only room for about 8 boats. It is a very pretty spot in a laid back way, which is always the nicest.
When I was there only two yachts were tied up. My wife tells me that today there was only a couple of free spots.

Let me know if want any specific details.

BTW no cash in the ATM.

Last edited:

Debs15

Visit site
We are there at the moment, but anchored, I am not a great fan of marinas :)

I took a walk into Linaria a couple of days ago. There is only room for about 8 boats. It is a very pretty spot in a laid back way, which is always the nicest.
When I was there only two yachts were tied up. My wife tells me that today there was only a couple of free spots.

Let me know if want any specific details.

BTW no cash in the ATM.

Many thanks Noelex,
Do you think we may need to book a place? If there is any possibility of you getting the contact number that would be great.
We are probably looking to arrive on Tuesday, if you are still there we can go for a beer.

noelex

Visit site
Navionics lists the harbourmaster's number as:

+30 694 954 1210

Wiki does not note the harbourmaster's number but lists the local taxi (who should know) as:
+30 2220 91 666

I am several kms from Linaria at the moment, but if these numbers do not work let me know and next time I walk in I will make enquiries.

A beer sounds good :)

jacaldo

Visit site
We were there last September, well worth the trip down from Skopelos. The harbour master comes out to meet you and see you in safely, as said lazy lines or along side, couldn't be easier. Weather wasn't the best but it's not too far from a safe anchorage on Skantzoura.

photon

Visit site
Some contact details:
The Linaria Port Service Assistant is called Sakis. He is helpful and will greet you by dinghy if possible. Linaria does fill up but you can contact Sakis on +30 6978409433 or email ssoulhouse@gmail.com, alternatively you can call up on VHF channel 9 between 0900 and 2100.

If you have internet access you will find a live web-cam looking south into the harbour at www.linariaport.gr

Skriots are an independent lot as evidenced by their ownership of the ferry, ACHILLEAS, which is greeted on arrival into Linaria by the load broadcast from the hillside cafe of the opening horns of Richard Strauss's Also Spracht Zarathustra, also used by Stanley Kubrik in the film 2001. Quite emotional stuff if you like that kind of thing!

Skyros is well worth a visit and there are good anchorages to be had giving shelter from most wind directions.

RupertW

Visit site
It was last August but unless it's changed a lot then I would not use the anchorage at the head of the Linaria bay again if I could avoid it. Holding was good although the fish farm takes about a third of the width of the head of the bay, but I've never been happier to get back about than when I snorkelled along to check the anchor. It was by far the filthiest sea bottom I have ever seen with beer cans, carrier bags, rubble bags, barrels, old rope, shoes and every other piece of garbage you can imagine.

And for those poor poor people at the beach resort swimming with kids. We even had a couple of guys swimming out to and around our boat. Yuck.

Flica

Visit site
I was there 20-23 May.
There is room for about 9 normal boats at the quay proper and another 3 can be fitted in in front of the lifeboat.
Overflow room for another 4 boats alongside the carpark to the W of the ferry quay. The latter are not entirely safe in high winds from the S.
IMHO it's the best presented port in Greece. Lazy lines in good condition and enthusiastic (if amateur) assistance at tying up between 09:00 - 21:00.
Some good local taverna, the best lobsters in Greece, a baker and diesel at the ferry carpark at Linaria but serious shopping needs a trip to the chora.

As regards anchorages, the bay inside Sarakino is forbidden by the military, but Refko and Linaria Bays are both good holding and protected from anything but the highest winds.
I notice some just "lift" Heikell's comments, which are both out-of-date and uninformatively fanciful.

Linaria is totally protected from even the height of the meltemi.