Skipperd Day Sailing

G

I hate the term "punters" , but that aside:

To the best of my knowledge the skipper needs DTI Coastal Skipper, Yachtmaster or Ocean Yachtmaster with the Commercial Endorsement, depending upon the distance to be sailed.

The boat needs to hold a certificate for small commercial vessels and again the level of certification depends upon the area to be sailed, or perhaps more accurately the area that can be sailed depends upon the level of certification.

This is governed by the basic design of the boat and relates to its stability. From there it depends upon the level of equipment carried.

The boat is subject to annual inspection which cost some £600 and that was several years ago.

I think this is about right, best of luck if you go ahead with the project.

G

Check your insurance

You'll almost certainly not be covered at the moment and it will uplift considerably to be covered.

Beside the qualifications, the boat needs to be DOT coded (flares, uptodate charts, etc).

G

Additions and ammendments.

Initial inspection is about £30 / metre, but thereafter alternate years are self certification at about £60 for the certificate being issued.

Official liferaft and lifejaket servicing is a couple of hundred a year (certificates required).

Insurance needs to be specific, but cost is not too great. Bareboat charter is about double, but if you are the named skipper then the risk is standard, with a slight uplift for additional, commercial risks.

The boat needs to be adequately manned. There would need to be at least 1 other competent crew aboard. I don't necessarily mean Competent Crew, but someone who could adequately take charge in the abscence of the skipper, so best teach 'em MOB drill then! (and how to navigate home in whatever conditions the skipper takes it out in, just incase the MOB recovery is unsuccessful).

Most important is the ability to smile when all around may be throwing up, cook wholesome food when all around may be throwing up, and smile when you know what kind of sailing YOU want to do and what kind of sailing the CLIENTS can sustain are not compatible.

G

Thanks for your comments.

I really can not believe that i used pinters, i hate it as much as you do, put it down to a hard day.

Dont' suppose you have an address for the licencing body or evan a web site. I have done a search for DOT but come up with loads of other stuff.

G

Re: Additions and ammendments.

many thanks for all that information,

Who does the certification is it the DOT have you a web site ?

G

Where to get information ...

If you want to charter your boat, you will need to comply with the MCA Codes of Practice on Small Commercial Sailing/Motor Vessels and be examined by a recognised MCA Classification Society.

Copies of the MCA Codes of Practice for Sailing Vessels and Motor Vessels are available from the RYA Publications Department, and the RYA can undertake the assessment (at a price). The contact person at RYA for further information is Marilyn Trodd of the Technical Unit, at 023 80627426. Publications can be ordered via the RYA website at http://www.rya.org.uk, or tel: 023 80627412

You must be a masochist to want to do this!

G

Re: Where to get information ...

Agree with the last comment, although it can be fun at times.

I used the RYA when the Code was introduced and they were very helpful. Bill Anderson in particular went out of his way to help me get sorted.

I understood that the MSA were able to invite themselves to inspect the boat at any time and charge you for doing so.

They certainly did this to me a few years ago.

I also had an inspection from a Port Health Inspector.

Don't know what he expected to find, but poked around the cool boxes and tasted the drining water. At least he didn't charge me for it.

The Code of Practice caused a lot of problems in the North East. Apparently the MSA decided that the fishing coble had insufficient freeboard to be safe and tried to restrict them to the park lake or something. You can imagine how well that went down with the fishing community.

I guess it got sorted out as they are still at sea - getting in the way with their drift nets.

Wish I was out there dodging them.

G

Re: Where to get information ...

Many thanks, I think you are right I might just scrub around all this. Thought it might be nice to take some fold out for a nice sail and get enough dosh to pay for a pot of varnish.... silly me

G

Anyone out there know what the rules and regulations are regarding receiving payment for taking punters day sailing.

G

Code of Practice

Get the 'Blue Book' from the RYA, about £10.

"The Safety of Small Commercial Vessels - A Code of Practice", published by the MCA.

YDSA, MECAL (Institute of Mechanical Engineers - Marine division) and RYA are all authorised to inspect and issue certificates.

They all have a network of 'Code' surveyors. Ask a charter agent near your base who they use.