Skipper need to be fined

Bouba

Visit site
After an arduous car journey...screaming kids, surely teens, traffic, queues for everything....the tourists arrive and then there is a do or die attitude on the water...I fought to get here and nobody is gonna get in my way...
I see it every season....so I try to make allowances....I steer clear and as a local and all year round boater, I can guess where the least crowded places are...

Martxer

Visit site
It was a bit chaotic Saturday trying to pick an exit was interesting and you definitely needed eyes in the back of your head.

The Q

Visit site
Try Living on the Norfolk Broads, thousands of tourists who've had half an hours training, if that, driving 10 ton 40ft motor boats from pub to pub.. Easter weekend is particularly fraught.
Then the day boats doing twice the speed limit, trying to get to a pub in their limited hire hours, having had no training except, there's the throttle push forward for forward and pull back for reverse....

Plus we now have Hire canoes, hire paddle boarders and wild swimmers in the mix, it's getting quite hairy out there sailing along the river..

Down on the southern Broads you have the Brundall "Navy" multistory powerboats that normally never leave their yards, once or twice a year they do leave the marina... Their engines are so powerful they can't keep below the speed limit..

Bouba

Visit site
Perhaps as forumites we have to take some responsibility...we are the ones who publicly extol the wonders of this boating life...so if we see wrong doing, rather than be like me and swear and shake a fist at them, we should educate...after all it’s our community and it’s only us who are suffering

SC35

Visit site
Down on the southern Broads you have the Brundall "Navy" multistory powerboats that normally never leave their yards, once or twice a year they do leave the marina... Their engines are so powerful they can't keep below the speed limit..

It's more the case that some of the larger engines have a more limited rev range.
So Idle speed with both props engaged can be more than you might ideally want.

Greg2

Visit site

Nothing like a touch of prejudice ?

Having been around the area for many years I haven’t seen much of a problem from the ‘Brundall Navy‘ - the river is plenty big enough to accommodate larger boats and most are fairly responsible types.

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site

Having been around the area for many years I haven’t seen much of a problem from the ‘Brundall Navy‘ - the river is plenty big enough to accommodate larger boats and most are fairly responsible types.

The only issue I have encountered there is people powering up onto the plane a bit earlier than ideally they should. If you are in a smaller boat, this might not be a great customer experience.

Extra consideration for others would involve waiting a couple of extra minutes until everyone can spread out enough to make the wash of getting planing less of an issue.

If all those around you are big boats, hit the throttles ? :ROFLMAO: ?

The Q

Visit site
I've never looked up to those flying white ensigns on their yachts ... they should be reserved for HM Ships.

Forget size, I'm more concerned that alongside people dont seem to follow the traditions of hoisting their ensign during daylight hours and taking it down at sunset.

Having been left in a hole in the river with sailing boats hitting each other because a Huge multi story Motor cruiser decided to open up, both throttles you'd know why..

chillee

Visit site
Having been left in a hole in the river with sailing boats hitting each other because a Huge multi story Motor cruiser decided to open up, both throttles you'd know why..
I used to take a little SIB down to Spain for a few years. Going in and out of Empuriabrava as some of the big boys throttled up as they exited the marina, I swear some of those troughs were 5ft deep. Quite an exciting experience when you are 1ft off the water :)

Greg2

Visit site

Yep, but that is about an individual as opposed to type of boat and opening the throttles in that way on a river with a speed limit isn’t acceptable in anyone’s book. I have encountered people sailing who are inconsiderate and cause a problem but I don’t hold it against all sailors.

FWIW we sail as well as being mobo types ?

paul salliss

Visit site
So here is an example, I am heading out of the river and boom Captain Cock comes flying down Southampton Water and chucks a left before the cardinal, and at around 20kts suddenly realised with all that momentum that to avoid a collision with all the boats heading out that he has no choice but to turn hard left again and whizzes up the river to my starboard... all I could think was slow pro, quick prick, it’s this stuff on busy days that one day will resort in something that will get you all talking and it’s so avoidable