Skipper for Thames/Essex area

G

I am new to sailing, with a 28 foot yacht in good condition and fully equipped. Seeking very experienced yachtmaster to sail with me for odd days at weekends to "show me the ropes". What more can you ask for, I pay the bills, you just sail, with a keen crew to do all the running about !

Call me 1245 287 966 (after 8pm) or bjponsonby@aol.com

Brian

G

Brian

Do you understand buoyage ?

" " " tides ?

Basics of reading a chart ?

Rough idea how to sail ?

Right of way basics ?

Are you a reasonably confident person wiling to have a go ?

If the answer is yes to the above then you don't need anybody else. You will learn much quicker by making the inevitable mistakes.

paulrossall

Visit site
Knowing all the theory and taking the RYA shorebased courses is the right way to prepare for sailing your own boat but you cannot beat sailing with an experienced sailor. Going out with an inexperienced crew is asking for trouble. Sure some people do it and come through the experience. You might have read all the books available on driving a car but you would not recomend anyone to go out on the M1, or even any road, to learn by their mistakes. Sorry I am in the wrong part of the country to assist you. I would consider paying for an RYA approved instructor to go out with me if I was in your situation and did not get any suitable responses to your notice. Good luck with your new boat.

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Brian,

Welcome to the sport/hobby of sailing. No do not try to learn from your mistakes.
The Thames will not take prisoners and you may well wreck or damage your new boat and at best destroy any faith your eager crew may have in you.
I have been sailing for twenty years and currently sail a Leisure/Mirage 27 and I'm still learning. The joy of sailing is in making a passage safely keeping any risk to a minimum, know your own limitations and gradually build confidence and experience to venture further. You do not want to get into relying permanantly on somebody who knows it all! but do join a club where you will get all the help you require, club members have a wealth of valuable information and advice about the area you are going to sail in. If you should decide to sail on the River Crouch we would be pleased to hear from you.
Happy sailing Trevor SWFYC