Skipper 14 booklet

Sire

Visit site
Hi

I've just come across the booklet that came with the Skipper 14 dinghy that my Dad bought in the very early 70's. It's a nice little booklet that covers the boat itself and provides a very basic introdution to sailing.

Does anyone know if there'd be any (for example copyright related) problems if I were to scan this and put it up on my webserver for others to enjoy?

There aren't any copyright notices in the booklet, and Richmond Marine doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any thoughts?

"Z"

Lakesailor

Visit site
Most unlikely there will be any repercusions although copyright stays with the originator for 50 years. If they no longer exist, they are going to have trouble pursuing you.
The worst that would happen in practice is that you could receive a request to take it down from the server.
It would be quite handy as quite few people have asked about Skippers in the past few years.

Sire

Visit site
Mum and dad car-topped ours the first few times before buying the trailer. when i get back home later, if i'm feeling brave maybe i'll come clean about the time i turned it over on Coniston- whoops!

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
A smashing little booklet! But the lifejackets are a bit thin on the ground.... ;)
The lack of parental concern and supervision prior to the seventies meant that kids had to develop their common sense and awareness of their surroundings in order to survive.

"Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown" - from "Swallows and Amazons" by Arthur Ransome

"Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life." - Alternative title for "On the Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin

Trop Cher

Visit site
Thanks also for the link to your book.
I've owned my Skipper for about 15 years and learnt and thaught my kids how to sail in it. Haven't really used it last five years but have just tidy it up and repaired the trailer and I'm taking it on holiday to France next week.
thanks again.

Sire

Visit site
Thanks also for the link to your book.
I've owned my Skipper for about 15 years and learnt and thaught my kids how to sail in it. Haven't really used it last five years but have just tidy it up and repaired the trailer and I'm taking it on holiday to France next week.
thanks again.

I'm very envious, and hope you have a great trip! There was a nice looking one on ebay a while back, and I would have snapped it up if I had been in the UK (then again, if I was in the UK I'd still have the old one :) ). I do wonder sometimes if ours is still around - sail number 1243 if I remember correctly.

Does any one know if the owners' association is still extant? I did a bit of googling and found www.skipperclass.org.uk, but that address just times out.

It was very nostalgic finding that old booklet, and am keen to get sailing again although with something a bit bigger. Skipper 17 maybe?!

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I'm very envious, and hope you have a great trip! There was a nice looking one on ebay a while back, and I would have snapped it up if I had been in the UK (then again, if I was in the UK I'd still have the old one :) ). I do wonder sometimes if ours is still around - sail number 1243 if I remember correctly.

There's an abandoned one in Kirkcudbright Sailing Club's yard...

It was very nostalgic finding that old booklet, and am keen to get sailing again although with something a bit bigger. Skipper 17 maybe?!

My parents had the very first of those. It was OK, but the handling wasn't great. The Hunter 490 is infinitely better. Mind you, the Skipper stayed in production for years and years, so maybe it was sorted as time went by.

Sire

Visit site
An abandoned Skipper 14 would be very tempting - apart from the transportation!

In fact I'm currently looking at ways and means of bringing in a suitable trailer sailer - and am opening negotiations with a Finnish international removals' firm with a view to providing work in return for some backload space (I am an HGV driver, and drive 60 tonne super-trucks for a living).

For some reason the 17' - 19' trailer sailers are a bit thin on the ground here, and I think my best chance is to import one from the UK.

Having said that, there is one in the local town's winter storage that is abandoned and looks ideal: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244244 (scroll down to the bottom for pictures). Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the owner :-(

"Z"