skegs?

G

having contacted the experts regarding my seamaster 23, that wanders all over the place at normal cruising speed, i have been told that a well engineered skeg would probably cure the problem.
unfortunately, although i have heard the term, i dont really know what a skeg is

can one of you experts put me right

thanks
steve

lezgar

Visit site
A skeg is a keel that help to support the rudder and help in the directional stability.
If you want to see some photo of a skeg in www.virgo-owners.org there are some photos of Virgos out of the water. The skeg is the nearest part to the rudder and is fixed to the hull like the keel.

G

What about the design of your rudder, is it the right size and balanced .
Are there any problems with slack or worn parts causing this.
Also the prop is it ok and not damaged causing the boat to turn .
Just a few ideas
Mick

Angelcynn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Yours wouldn't happen to have an outdrive would it? If so forget the comments re rudders, outdrive boats are renowned for wandering at low speeds. A skeg should help, already been described below.

G

hi thanks for your comments. yes my boat does have an enfield outdrive, and never having had one before, find that it is a constant steering adjustment, just to keep in a straight line. it appears from everybodys comments ,that this is something you just have to live with.

many thanks nevertheless for your input

steve

G

You add a section under the cavitation plate to act as an extra rudder, this is done quite allot on boats on the canal system where speeds are low.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I'm looking for the next one ,ex trawler would be good !!

daveheaddon

Visit site
Hi Steve.....hope my VERY late reply to this is still useful.

I have a SeaMaster Sailer23 and I have a skeg fitted forward of the rudder. Perhaps uniquely I think I still have the correspondence between the then owner and someone else regarding the pros & cons. I think I also have the original full-scale plans.

Simply, the skeg is a similar length to the rudder, triangular and bolted up into the hull.

This is a late reply but I'm very happy to provide copies if they are still of use?

Cheers
Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>