Sixty dolphins and a Kahawai

rotrax

Visit site
Took our Steel Hartley 32 " Ella " out in Wellington Harbour this afternoon with our DIL's parents as crew. Once we left the berth we turned into the wind and got the sails up. It was down wind, very light breeze and against the tide.
The trusty Bukh was put back on and the fishing rod bought into action. Within 15 minutes we had a pan sized Kahawai landed.

It was time to turn out of Evans Bay into Oriental Bay for a coffee and cake stop, anchored by the fountain-a favourite stop of ours. The wind had piped up a bit and our couple of tweaks to the rig made since our last trip worked a treat, we broad reached under full main and genoa going as fast as she ever has.

While anchored, just before dealing with the washing up I spotted a large pod of Dolphins chasing and feeding on the Kahawai. This was pointed out to the others. and the binoculars came out for a closer view.

Before long they surrounded us, moved away again, and then returned. The grapevine had been working and the seafront on the Queens Wharf side was packed with spectators. I lifted the anchor and we headed back, the Dolphins all around. As we turned back into Evans Bay the pod was all around again, following the Kahawai into Evans Bay.

Their behaviour changed as they finished feeding, happier to play in the bow wave and zig zag back and forth under the boat.

What a great afternoon! The boat went really good, all systems working well, we caught Bobs tea and had a couple of hours of close up action with our cetacean friends. Priceless.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
When we passed Cape Finesterre, France it was unusually calm we could see dolphins in every direction as far as we could see, motoring at 5 knots it took an hour to pass them. We don't know why they were there.

guernseyman

Visit site
The most I've seen, 5 years ago, was something like a hundred just a couple of miles north of the Sept Iles, north Brittany. They were obviously feeding on a huge shoal of fish, and were accompanied by a large number of seabirds. I passed about 200 yards away.

rotrax

Visit site
The most I've seen, 5 years ago, was something like a hundred just a couple of miles north of the Sept Iles, north Brittany. They were obviously feeding on a huge shoal of fish, and were accompanied by a large number of seabirds. I passed about 200 yards away.

No seabirds this time-Kahawai are big fish-can go 3 kilos plus.

In another part of the Harbour, towards Somes Island, the Terns and a Guillimot type bird were working fry or spats.

Poignard

Visit site
First mate got one on her phone.

I have never posted pictures on here, First Mate says I waste enough time on here without that as well!

Never mind. Still a marvellous thing to see.

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep. "