Sivota, Lefkas

JanZ

Visit site
Another two pontoons have sprung up in Sivota on southern Lefkas, one beside the longstanding "Stavros" pontoon, run by the 12 Gods Taverna, which has been placed so close to its neighbour that the lazy lines are almost vertical and it is virtually impossible to get between the boats, and the other in the middle of the south quay, being run as a commercial enterprise with charges for an overnight stay being up to 60€ dependent on season.

This of course has further significantly reduced the amount of quay space available for conventional visitors who don't wish to either pay silly money or to be obliged to eat in a particular taverna.

Indeed, the place now has almost the feel and the look of a disorganised marina rather than the pretty little harbour and village that I first fell in love with over twenty years ago.

Sadly, this is yet another place to which we shall be reluctant to return. ??

jordanbasset

Visit site
Yes it is getting that way, also of course Yannis' Delfinia Taverna now has a pontoon. Fortunately the quay immediately on your left as you enter is still clear but I do wonder for how long.
The other issue is the small motorboats for day hire have grown in number and take over more of the quay space
Having said that we will keep going back if only for the Family restaurant and Yanna

Last edited:

pmartin127

Visit site
We were in Sivota last week and agree that its character has changed a lot over the years with more and more pontoons going in. There were several piles of the black plastic boxes on the shore which would indicate even more to be built.
According to the guys in Spiradoula they are all illegal and can attract a €15k fine but as they said - do the maths with 30 boats per night at €30 each they’re happy to pay up. That is, of course, if anyone bothers prosecuting.
The place really smells as well - seems a lot of boats without holding tanks or just discharging straight out.
BTW Ionion doesn’t have a pontoon unless I missed it. Perhaps thinking of the one outside the Yacht Bar clung next door?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not sure why anyone bother To go there any more lots nicer places , if it wasn't for friends who seem to love the place ( not meantion any name , right Jordan ) we would go there .

Davy_S

Visit site
Sivota started to lose its way a few years ago, the touting Tavernas are a pain in the neck, such a shame as its a lovely setting, there is only one place worth visiting and that's the family Taverna, the rest are tourist rip offs.

pmartin127

Visit site
Vic’s correct - there are a lot of much nicer places to go. We went only to drop our daughter and her friends off for their pickup to the airport to save us going further north.
Since then we’ve been at anchor in Kastos.
Neil/Jordan - don’t know what I meant by “clung” but I’m glad I didn’t contradict you re Ionion. Lovely family and I like it but the Executive Officer prefers eating at Spiradoula.
The smell is what really puts us off going back. We can deal with the touting tavernas but to have water you can’t swim in is the limit.

cynthia

Visit site
Sadly, Sivota is now crossed off our places we enjoy list too. When we were there a couple of weeks ago the first of the new pontoons was in and we felt that Sivota had changed out of all recognition. Only Yanna’s Family Cafe was welcoming. The rest of the place seemed only interested in one night, quick turnover charter and flotilla boats. The charm and character of the place is now well hidden.
We did hear that the new pontoons have a permit, but only the one used by Delphin was also,legal. There are moves afoot to remove the others - also plans to stop restaurants using the space along the quay.
Back in the UK now where it is just as hot!

Pasarell

Visit site
I was in there on Monday night and managed to get on the quay for the 1st time - not that I've visited too often. Right outside Liotrivi Taverna and there were a couple of spaces free all night. 2 boats went on the new pontoon for some reason but I just don't see how that adds anything to the town, takes away as much quay space as it adds so no extra berths. Family Taverna was excellent as always

jordanbasset

Visit site
I was in there on Monday night and managed to get on the quay for the 1st time - not that I've visited too often. Right outside Liotrivi Taverna and there were a couple of spaces free all night. 2 boats went on the new pontoon for some reason but I just don't see how that adds anything to the town, takes away as much quay space as it adds so no extra berths. Family Taverna was excellent as always

Good to know, cheers, should be back there in a couple of weeks

overstag

Visit site
A well known British surveyor in the area informed me that the authorities have now told all the taverna's in Sivota that their pontoons have to go. They say that there is going to be a new quay being built all along the waterfront. Expect to pay mooring fees from next year..

jordanbasset

Visit site
A well known British surveyor in the area informed me that the authorities have now told all the taverna's in Sivota that their pontoons have to go. They say that there is going to be a new quay being built all along the waterfront. Expect to pay mooring fees from next year..

Thanks for the info, as much as I would like the first part to be true why would they need to build a new quay all along the waterfront, for most of the quay it is deep enough anyway for most boats

Last edited: