Single Lever Engine Control

yoda

Visit site
Having now installed my new engine I need to fit a single lever control. Before I go out and buy the said item I was wondering if anybody had any experience of installing different types, the relative merits of different makes and their overall quality. Any advice welcome. Thanks very much.

Yoda

Strathglass

Visit site
I personally prefer the type with the clutch push button in the centre of the shaft. I think they are used on some Volvos. with this type it is possible to change from forward to reverse with just a push either with hand or foot.
Some other types will block in neutral until another button is pressed. This can be very annoying and difficult at times

Strathglass

Visit site
Have you looked at the price of this?

The winch handle one I mean. It looks a great idea BUT.

Makes V...o spare parts look like bargains.
Ok in an open 60 but not for 'normal' use

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by iainsimpson on 20/01/2003 22:35 (server time).</FONT></P>

yoda

Visit site
From your comment the worst damage is to the wallet? Agree about being able to go fairly quickly from ahead to astern without fiddling with clutch knobs etc but I think using a winch handle for the engines is just a bit too modern for me. I've only just got a gearbox, don't want to run before I can walk!

Yoda

Trilogy

Visit site
I ran a flotilla of yachts in the med for a year. All had Teleflex Morse controls which were generally very reliable. I only recall one problem when a drunken billy stepped on a handle and snapped it.

You can download a full spec and fitting instructions from www.teleflexmorse.com

I prefer the simplicity of this arrangement. Press the button in to disengage the gear shift (for starting). No fiddly button pushing / collar lifting to go from ahead to astern when you're in close quarters. Just as easy to use your foot or your hand.

Good Luck

Nick

snowleopard

Visit site
i have a morse control. generally works fine except for the day the gear cable came adrift while manoevering in a marina, leaving the engine stuck in reverse!

Dipper

Visit site
Morse controls are generally universal fitting ie fit various engines and push/pull cables and port/starboard fitting.

If you have a sailing boat, make sure you get a sailing version of whatever control you buy. They have rounded knobs that don't get caught on ropes. Motor boat versions often have a T shaped knob.

salamicollie

Visit site
Just fitted a TFX700 (about £75 ish from asap supplies) which is straight forward with a single button to select neutral with starting - it has the facility for a neutral safety switch to stop you starting in gear. Unfortunately like Model T's in only comes in black. This replace a Morse two lever job.

The hardest part was fitting the b***ard in the space available and running the cables in sensible curves to the gear change and throttle. In the end I mounted it through the cockpit side using the existing (round) hole for the old lever which was a good fit and fitted spares behind the fibreglass rather than cut the huge hole required for surface mounting...

If you go down this route PM me for more details

claymore

Visit site
Room and Size

were also the determining factors when I fitted one some years ago - I ended up situating it according to plan B because it wouldnt go where I'd intended in plan A

regards
Claymore