Single-hander seeks Marinas & boltholes on the west coast of Holland, Belgium and Northern France

aqua5boy

Visit site
Hi folks,
I'm planning to buy a 30ft sailing yacht in the IJsselmeer of Holland, in early Spring, to deliver it to the south coast of England, possibly on my own. It looks like I can take it through the North Sea Canal before stopping at IJmuiden. Are there many Marinas & boltholes along the west coast of Holland, Belgium and Northern France, before I cross the English Channel? Any experienced suggestions as to the passage plan is greatly appreciated!

johnalison

Visit site
Hi. There are numerous stopping-places on the route, and your choice, assuming that you want to do it in day-sails, will depend on the weather and tides. Ijmuiden is handy because it is outside the lock and you can leave when you wish. The next obvious stop is Scheveningen but you might want to go further to the Roompot where you will need to lock in. This entrance has strong tides. You might then go to Flushing/Breskens, though we usually aimed for Blankenberg. Along the coast, Zeebrugge, Ostend, Niewpoort, Dunkirk and Calais are easy to enter (ferries etc permitting), and the choice can be made when on passage, according to taste.

The tides are middling strong in this area and for comfort it will be easier to go with the currents. Decent charts are needed throughout the area because of changing banks and buoyage. There are rules involved when crossing the entrances to the Dutch harbours and the Scheldt and you will need to check on these before setting off.

Stingo

Visit site
Hi folks,
I'm planning to buy a 30ft sailing yacht in the IJsselmeer of Holland, in early Spring, to deliver it to the south coast of England, possibly on my own. It looks like I can take it through the North Sea Canal before stopping at IJmuiden. Are there many Marinas & boltholes along the west coast of Holland, Belgium and Northern France, before I cross the English Channel? Any experienced suggestions as to the passage plan is greatly appreciated!
Have a look at www.noonsite.com and www.noforeignland.com

aqua5boy

Visit site
Hi. There are numerous stopping-places on the route, and your choice, assuming that you want to do it in day-sails, will depend on the weather and tides. Ijmuiden is handy because it is outside the lock and you can leave when you wish. The next obvious stop is Scheveningen but you might want to go further to the Roompot where you will need to lock in. This entrance has strong tides. You might then go to Flushing/Breskens, though we usually aimed for Blankenberg. Along the coast, Zeebrugge, Ostend, Niewpoort, Dunkirk and Calais are easy to enter (ferries etc permitting), and the choice can be made when on passage, according to taste.

The tides are middling strong in this area and for comfort it will be easier to go with the currents. Decent charts are needed throughout the area because of changing banks and buoyage. There are rules involved when crossing the entrances to the Dutch harbours and the Scheldt and you will need to check on these before setting off.
Many thanks johnalison - that's very helpful and encouraging feedback!

14K478

Visit site
I’d go “inside” to Flushing, then Ostende, then Dover. That means you can get used to the boat with little day sails in sheltered waters to start with.

Flushing / Ostende / Dover is two easy day sails.

The hard bit is always Dover to the Solent. Yes, Brighton makes a stop, but the entrance can be interesting. You really need a helpful wind, here, because the tide is against you in the sense that the flood, up Channel, runs for longer than the ebb, down Channel, does.

The time of year makes a difference; there is a better chance of getting a fair wind (and, believe me, you will want one!) in June iirc.

Last edited:

westhinder

Visit site

Basically this covers it. Just a couple of additional points:
if there are going to be fresh W or SW winds for the first few days, instead of bashing against them, take the Staande Mastroute (mast up route) from Amsterdam or Haarlem to Vlissingen. After Scheveningen you have a long slog to windward without all weather ports of refuge until Vlissingen/Breskens/Zeebrugge. There is Stellendam and the Oosterschelde of course, but they are a detour and Stellendam is not advisable in strong winds as the approach is shallow and has breaking seas.
The Belgian ports are all safe in all weathers and at all states of the tide except for Blankenberge, which is HW +/- 3 or 4 depending on draught.
Continuing along the French coast Cap Gris Nez is an important tidal gate. I would avoid Calais as it involves going through a lock and you will have to wait for the ferries as they leave/enter the harbour

dunedin

Visit site
Hi folks,
Don't want to distract your navigational thread, but assume you are aware of the big issues importing a boat from EU into the UK post-Brexit - including paying more VAT and potential CE / UKCA certification. Many / most have decided it is too hard and abandoned the purchase. But if you are aware and have solutions, great.

aqua5boy

Visit site
Don't want to distract your navigational thread, but assume you are aware of the big issues importing a boat from EU into the UK post-Brexit - including paying more VAT and potential CE / UKCA certification. Many / most have decided it is too hard and abandoned the purchase. But if you are aware and have solutions, great.
Yes thx indeed. Fully aware

sailorman

Visit site

The tides are middling strong in this area and for comfort it will be easier to go with the currents. Decent charts are needed throughout the area because of changing banks and buoyage. There are rules involved when crossing the entrances to the Dutch harbours and the Scheldt and you will need to check on these befothe stsnde mast route will re get yoh to vlissengen in 4 to 4 dyswith many places yo overnight setting off.

bluerm166

Visit site
You may well be passing or entering Nieuport so depending on when in the spring you set off you might check on the firing days for the Nieuport range which extend some way out to sea in 3 sectors as shown on all charts if you look carefully.
Not something you want to divert around after a long days sail .Covered in detail on this forum at :
Nieuwport Firing Range
You will see in post #20 that Westhinder laid out the dates and times (when range not in use) for last year .The BE military also publish a 3 month forward list of actual days of firing with the sector involved, K inshore,M or Grande.There is no English version and next year is not yet published but you should see the current list at :
https://www.mil.be/media/bxegvjon/programmetirmer_20092023_fr.pdf

Also if you will be leaving Schengen somewhere and Nieuport (indeed Belgium) is at present a lot more civilized to check out from than France.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I’d go “inside” to Flushing, then Ostende, then Dover. That means you can get used to the boat with little day sails in sheltered waters to start with.

Flushing / Ostende / Dover is two easy day sails.

The hard bit is always Dover to the Solent. Yes, Brighton makes a stop, but the entrance can be interesting. You really need a helpful wind, here, because the tide is against you in the sense that the flood, up Channel, runs for longer than the ebb, down Channel, does.

The time of year makes a difference; there is a better chance of getting a fair wind (and, believe me, you will want one!) in June iirc.
The standing mast route to Flushing is safe, but can be hard work SH due to locks & waiting for bridges. there are a couple that are very time restricted. It depends on your boat handling skills. I do like it though, having done it many times.
Instead of Dover, I would suggest that you leave Ostend & using the correct tides head for the Longsand Head & then felixstowe where one can enter the Orwell for a host of stops. Alternatively, if arriving at the LSHead at LW one can head to Burnham, Bradwell, or Brightlingsea on the tide. All these are doable in 15-18 hours, easily enough from Ostend.
Ostend is only 4-5 hours from Breskens on the tide. It is also a better angle for shipping lanes than Blankenburg & Nieuport. If you want to get to Dover tides are more of an issue & you will almost certainly have to stop at Dunkirk. Navigation through the banks is tricky, as is missinga couple of dangerous wrecks & a large fishing farm. I have not been to Calais, but have been told it is not to be recommended. Once again the leg is very tide dependant.
Of course Ijmuiden to Lowestoft is only 100 miles which is an 18-24 hour sail. Then one can sail to Felixstowe from there. Plenty of options on the east coast depending on what you are looking for.
A slightly shorter route would be Dunkirk, Ramsgate, thus missing Calais. Ramsgate then gives a starting point for cruising the east coast on a northern route towards Lowestoft, whereby one can pick up a SW wind if one is lucky, ( Lucky??) back to Ijmuiden.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that, given the right weather, I would want to take the shortest route as I get the impression that this is something of a delivery trip. I don't see any great problem with either Dunkirk or Calais to Dover. I haven't done Calais-Dover for a while but I have a distinct memory of it passing by in a flash as the tide shoved us along at a ridiculous speed over the ground. That leaves only a short open-sea crossing and sea-lane crossing to worry about, which won't induce fatigue like the longer crossings that we would often do when crewed. In spite of its reputation, the Dover Strait is often something of a non-event, with only a few ships to worry about, and over a shorter leg than the other routes.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think that, given the right weather, I would want to take the shortest route as I get the impression that this is something of a delivery trip. I don't see any great problem with either Dunkirk or Calais to Dover. I haven't done Calais-Dover for a while but I have a distinct memory of it passing by in a flash as the tide shoved us along at a ridiculous speed over the ground. That leaves only a short open-sea crossing and sea-lane crossing to worry about, which won't induce fatigue like the longer crossings that we would often do when crewed. In spite of its reputation, the Dover Strait is often something of a non-event, with only a few ships to worry about, and over a shorter leg than the other routes.
You have to get to Calais first though & Ostend to Harwich is a well Known milk run for beginners. Burnham, Ostend was my first ever crossing & 158 crossings to Ostend later, it still is on my list. It usually takes me 14.5-16 hours (record is 13.5 in my Stella) which is quicker than Ostend to Dover- I did a similar trip earlier this year turning the corner to Boulogne. But I had to stop at Dunkirk due to tide restraints & caught tides in the Strait again on both legs.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
You have to get to Calais first though & Ostend to Harwich is a well Known milk run for beginners. Burnham, Ostend was my first ever crossing & 158 crossings to Ostend later, it still is on my list. It usually takes me 14.5-16 hours (record is 13.5 in my Stella) which is quicker than Ostend to Dover- I did a similar trip earlier this year turning the corner to Boulogne. But I had to stop at Dunkirk due to tide restraints & caught tides in the Strait again on both legs.
Ostend-Harwich is a nice run, though I prefer Blankenberg-Harwich without the banks and ferries for a few miles further, but I still can’t see why someone heading for the South Coast would need to sample the delights of Harwich when he can do shorter trips to Dover. My first crossing was Ramsgate-Calais, in fog and without aids other than a compass in a 26’ boat with a petrol engine. I’ve no idea why we did it but we survived, and someone today in a well-found boat with GPS and decent weather should have no problems at all.

An alternative route, if conditions make it necessary, could be Low Countries-Boulogne, then Dieppe, Fecamp, St Vaast/Cherbourg-Solent.

Daydream believer

Visit site
but I still can’t see why someone heading for the South Coast would need to sample the delights of Harwich
Careless of me as I missed the comment about south coast. for some reason I took it as east coast hen I saw Ijmuiden
An alternative route, if conditions make it necessary, could be Low Countries-Boulogne, then Dieppe, Fecamp, St Vaast/Cherbourg-Solent.
I would do Boulogne - Dieppe- Le Havre- Cherbourg as they are 24 hour ports. Le Havre has been tidied up a lot in the last few years, so is OK for a visit. Fecamp & St vaast have tide height restraints which can be awkward for a SH sailor. Harbours are cheaper than UK side & rarely short on space
Dieppe, Le havre 60 miles is 10 hours using tide & Le Havre Cherbourg 70m & easy 13 hours ditto. Just need to time the arrival a Barfleur which is fairly easy.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Le Havre or Fecamp, either would do. I have never had trouble getting in or out of Fecamp, even in a westerly F6 but avoiding LWS which I think is about 2m. Le Havre is some extra miles but I remember having an excellent meal at one of the YCs. St Vaast is a bit more awkward, but it's a delightful place if forced to stay for a few days.

Paulfireblade

Visit site
In the Summer I did Dieppe to Eastbourne which was a fairly short hop approx. 60 miles. Schengen entry/exit fairly straightforward at Ferry terminal which is roughly 20 min walk and Marina happy to advise opening times for the passport control. You just needed to email over form in advance. For a ferry port surprisingly nice place to stay with plenty of nice restaurants & bars around the harbour.

I visited Fecamp which was nice and Monastery worth a visit. entry/exit straightforward but not a port of entry/exit.

Berthing on Eastbourne comparable with France but no doubt once you get toward the Solent prices rocket but I was heading East. I liked Ramsgate for what it’s worth a Yacht club was worth the walk.

Last edited:

14K478

Visit site
In the Summer I did Dieppe to Eastbourne which was a fairly short hop approx. 60 miles. Schengen entry/exit fairly straightforward at Ferry terminal which is roughly 20 min walk and Marina happy to advise opening times for the passport control. You just needed to email over form in advance. For a ferry port surprisingly nice place to stay with plenty of nice restaurants & bars around the harbour.

I visited Fecamp which was nice and Monastery worth a visit. entry/exit straightforward but not a port of entry/exit.
Really useful answer