Simple question ? Arrival at Cherbourg.

G

Is there any arrival procedure needed such as calling Cherbourg Port Control on VHF before entering ??

Is anyone meeting us to sort berths ?

Is there a plan or advisory about certain size boats heading for certain locations in the yacht basin ?

I and others will be first time into this port with a yacht - so some may need a few words to belay the tummy-wobbles ...

As I see it - there is going to be one hell of an invasion and probably a few boats milling about at various times .... If I can get there early enough ... I'm sure myself and crew are more than willing to assist any measures to get boats organised and tied up ....

Is there any idea or suggestion of a VHF channel that can be monitored for us SB groupies ?? say for example Ch. 69 owhy??

???

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Blimey Nigel, give us a chance !! There is still over 3 weeks to go.

WHen TwisterKen returns to base, he will not only finalise the meal arrangements with the restuarant but will also speak with the marina. We will try to get a space for all the boats to be together, but this isn't easy. We will advise which pontoons to aim for.

It is generally a free for all as to who goes into which berth. By the time you get there, other boats will already be in situ. If all else fails, just find a slot somewhere, then get off and walk. I am sure you will quickly find me or other forumites who can point you at a better slot.

However, you will find the pontoons are short and flimsy, and not suitable for big buggers like me to jump an and off in a hurry.

With regard to comms, I prefer to use Ch 77. We will also collate all skippers' mobile numbers before the event, and circulate the list to other skippers only - ie it will not be published on here. So at least you will be able to phone one of us as a last resort.

Most important point, IMHO, is to ensure you are uptide of which ever entrance is uptide - ie so that you have two chances of getting in to one of them !

In general terms, getting into cherbourg and finding a place is not difficult. It is big and spacious enough to spend some time getting it right.

Hope this helps you to relax !

G

Me ... relax .... never !!

Actually I know Cherbourg well from Coaster days etc.

Trouble for me is too long a wait till the flight back to UK and the jolly ... gives too long a time to think and ask questions !!

BlueChip

Visit site
Nigel
important thing to know about Cherbourg is that fingers are very short, narrow and low with a loop not a cleat at the end. So low fenders well forward and a shortish line from centre cleat if you have one is more use than a stern line. This year most times the marina has had an inflatable in the water directing visitors (and chasing non payers!)

G

Low fenders and midships lines ...

Sounds about par for me ... TA !!

Short fingers ....... well I'm a shortie anyway ... not like you big-boys ... Yes I have a midships cleat - one of the best things ever fitted ... I cannot imagine having a boat without extra cleats now .... I have in addition to my main mooring post forward - a cleat on the toe-rail either side also ... + the cleat at midships either side ...
Only lacking is the extra cleats aft as I have only the one each 1/4 ... which is not enough in my mind ... needs 2 each side or a centre one at least taht can be used either side ...

Thanks for the advise ... well taken ....

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Low fenders and midships lines ...

Last year on a 40'er, skipper decided to go stern in. Made a huge difference to the rest of the weekend, as much easier to step on board from main pontoon, rather than going down little finger pontoon - they are not v.stable, and sink dramatically if any one heavy was jumping down from any height

G

Silly marina fingers ...

Svet - SWMBO fell in off the finger I berth on ... if there is no boat on the other side to balance the thing - it tips far too easily.

It's normally because they are based on bouyant blocks without any form of stabilising ballast etc. It's the proverbial cork on the water relying on the V end fast to the main pontoon to try and keep it level ...

duncan

Visit site
Re: Low fenders and midships lines ...

[ QUOTE ]
sink dramatically if any one heavy was jumping down from any height

[/ QUOTE ]

I found they sank dramatically even when I was tiptoeing along them.............. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Other threads that may be of interest