Silver Echo first refit , new zero speeds photos.

MapisM

Visit site
@mapism, I have no idea what those steps in the hull are meant to do. Armchair hydrodynamics I think:cool:. They sure don't do any harm though: it is an interesting somewhat hybrid hull in that it is a good D boat but also as mentioned before does 20kts gps (seen with my own eyes, in Palma, with clean bottom and cool day) at WOT on 2x 800hp cats, and it does that with decent trim angle, properly planning, and it cannot be dragging the aft part of the hull because if it did then 2x800hp just wouldn't achieve 20kts on this size of tub. They are big cats, 3406E 15 litre jobs, half a C32, and widely regarded as THE engine to have in the 800hp power category.
Yep, all agreed.
As you know, those engines are what I would have liked to have also in my new boat, but for some reason, around the late 90s/early naughties, MAN and VP somewhat dominated the market, at least in EU pleasure boats - so much so that the only P boat in the 55/60 feet range with the 3406 as standard installation is also the worse of the lot in just about all other respects, i.e. the Aicon 56.
All top yards went for either MAN or VP in the 800hp power node, with the only partial exceptions (IIRC) of the Ferretti 57 and the Sq58, which were available also with the 3406. But both were much more popular with MAN and VP respectively, anyway.

LOL, yeah, I suspect that armchair hydrodynamics has something to see with those side steps.
My first thought was that they designed the hull mould without them, then found upon the first seatrials that there was too much astern flotation, and came up with the idea of an insert on the mould to make her sit a bit deeper in the water without affecting the weight distribution.
Coming to think of it, that might also be a reason for placing the stabs weight much further astern than even plain common sense would have suggested...
But we'll never know, I suppose. If you would have a chance to ask the builder, they would surely confirm that there was a sophisticated study behind that choice! :rolleyes: :D

And at the end of the day, as often happens with boats, whatever works is fine!
In fact, I fully agree that 20kts with 1600hp (burning what, 300lph? Those engines can't physically use much more than that) is an impressive result indeed, considering the boat size/type. :encouragement:

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
blimey!

that's a nice boat and an awful lot of work done in no time, very well done!
glad to see your typing improved SD, on the previous boat you got away with 3 and 4 line posts and a few pics :p

Hope you keep her for long as the SF SG and SH don't sound good, we'll have to wait for Silver Juliet...

wish you many happy days on her!

cheers

V.

Lloydroberts

Visit site
Firefly, very sad to hear that news of your father.
Yes indeed, fathers = very responsible for the boating bug. To be fair to ours, he did try model railways on silverdee + me first, but he didn't get any traction.

Thank God......I can just imagine what you'd be like....

An inbuild thread?

And here she is...MATCH.:D

maxresdefault.jpg

MYAG

Visit site
Congratulations on a splendid refit James, very impressed with the can do attitude to it all - wishing you many happy hours of happy hours on your new ship.......

scubaman

Visit site
Thank God......I can just imagine what you'd be like....

An inbuild thread?

And here she is...MATCH.:D

Or even:

back-to-the-future-3.jpg

:)

Congratulations to SD for a succesful completion of very demanding upgrades. May you have many happy times onboard. And top marks to Fred for making sure everything got done properly :encouragement: