Silva S12 portable VHF radio

jtwebb

Visit site
I have a Silva S12 radio which is causing me various problems and I wonder if anyone else has the same experience. The problems are:
The loudspeaker quality is very poor
I am told the transmission quality is extremely poor/unreadable in some cases. Experiment shows it can only make 5 or 6 transmissions before quality goes.
The is no battery low indicator so one does not know when it needs a charge so one has to keep premptively charging.
The ergonomics are bad but that is not a dangerous point.
I was told by one Marina recently that they conisder the unit dangerous as I do not know of my failure to contact them properly. At the time I could see them, had charged the radio a few days before, made 5 transmissions and turned it off in between. Indeed, one has to make sure it is turned off as if the battery goes low then the turn off button fails to work and the radio makes revolting noise until it is totally flat!
I ma told it will have to go back to be bench tested which will presumably be under ideal conditions, full volts etc. I wish to use it in real life, even in a life raft if necessary.
Any comments please?

<hr width=100% size=1>J Webb

john_travers

Visit site
I have the same problems. Battery power lasts no time. I bought it because it didn't have Nicad batteries and the associated memory problems. I think it will be going back.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jtwebb

Visit site
I am glad, in a sense, that you have the same problem as it strengthens both our cases for a refund. I see no point in a replacement. As far as I am concerned it is not 'fit for purpose' as the quality is so poor, battery life so short and no indication of low battery.

Paul_H

Visit site
Looking at the spec of the S12 (i dont use one by the way) it has abt 0.5Ah NiMH battery. That should be good for perhaps 5 or 6 hours of standby, receiving and occasional low power transmitting. High power transmitting would significantly reduce run time though.
My experience with NiMH batteries is that while they dont have the memory effect of a Nicad they dont hold their charge so well. Theyre only any good straight after charging.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TwoStroke

Visit site
I originally looked at a Silva S12 but instead went for a Standard Horizon HX260E. Can't fault it and has worked well. Once you've got your refund, have a look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mesltd.co.uk/Products/pages/HH_VHF/hx260e/hx260einf.html>here</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>How much to fill'er up!
flame.gif

jtwebb

Visit site
Just for the record. Fully charged last night, left marina 2 calls, went to East Cowes 2 calls, spoke to friends for 3 calls and could not raise home marina on return. Radio was turned off for most of the time in between.

spark

Visit site
I have one of these on order. Should I be cancelling an opting for a different model?

Does anyone out there have a good experience of the Silva S12?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.qei.co.uk/spark>http://www.qei.co.uk/spark</A>

MainlySteam

Visit site
On the basis of the radios specification, if you want distance between charges personally I would buy something else. The specification means short between charge life and they say things, as loose sales talk I assume, about memory effect of other batteries (ie NiCd's) which do not stack up (despite common opinion, NiCd's do not suffer from memory effect except under very specific circumstances which are not normally duplicated in practice).

As a comment - In general, physical size for size, NiMHi batteries hold more charge than NiCd (and that is their main advantage), but they have a shorter number of charge cycles life than NiCd, so in the end NiMHi normally end up (at present development) costing more per amp/hr gotten out of them over their life.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Get a Icom IC-M1EuroV. They have a Lithium battery (no memory effects) and it's awesome. I've never managed to run the battery flat, and I left it on scanning for 2 weeks once to try. When I bought it, I also bought a spare battery, and never once used it

<hr width=100% size=1>

spark

Visit site
Too late. I've already changed the order to the HX260E as suggested above and it's on it's way to me.

The Icom sounds like a ood machine but is a bit on the pricey side for something that I rarely use.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.qei.co.uk/spark>http://www.qei.co.uk/spark</A>