SIKA FLEX 291 or CT1 urgent

rivonia

Visit site
Good morning,

Which of the above would you use to Seal/glue the rubber cover plate/flange that fits over the sail drive to the glass fibre. I have removed the old ones and sanded all ready but un-sure which adhesive to use.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. It is the 291 that I need to know about.

Peter

Last edited:

Spi D

Visit site
Sikaflex for me. Guess it's down to previous experience and being used to it's properties, so my first choice when no room for experiments.

prv

Visit site
Will sikaflex 291 do the job or not?

292 would be better if you can get it - it is an adhesive whereas 291 is a sealant with some adhesive properties.

Would I give 291 a go if it's all I had available? Yes, I think I probably would. But when I have to re-stick my own one I will get my hands on the proper stuff.

Pete

macd

Visit site
I am overseas I am using what is available. If I HAD GOT THE ADHESIVE KIT!!! Would I be asking this question.

If there is anyone out there with the info that I need it will be very much appreciated

Will sikaflex 291 do the job or not?

Peter

No to Sika.

See this page: http://www.maxiowners.org/technical/engine/103-saildrive-gaiter-replacement.html

It recommends the use of "good quality contact adhesive" which will be easy enough to find, even in those primitive places overseas.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have never done the job but I doubt very much whether Sikaflex 291 has the desired properties for it. Sikaflex has very little grab, which I think is what is needed. Two-pack contact adhesives are sold in many chandleries, my current neighbour bought some yesterday in Lakki town, to repair his tender.

www.bavariayacht.info
If I HAD GOT THE ADHESIVE KIT!!! Would I be asking this question.
No need to shout. My reply had several aspects:
You could have forgotten about the adhesive in the kit.
It could have expired.
If you didn't have it, I made it clear what you should use instead.

Nigel, do you sometimes wonder why you bother?
Often.

rivonia

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I could not get the positive answer that I needed. That would have been "Yes ct1 or stickaflex 291 WILL stick rubber to gelcoat"
I sent e-mails to both Sticka flex and CT1 companies, but had no replies.
So I have used a strong contact adhesive- it looks good out of the water so we shall see. cross fingers.

Peter

dancrane

Visit site
I'm a bit late commenting, and I doubt it's very relevant to this task...

...but I bought Sikaflex 291 (not Stika flex or Silkafex ;)) believing it had the same properties as the pure adhesive 292...then I promptly lost my receipt...

...and while it seems to have secured wood to glassfibre very satisfactorily in one load-bearing position, I used the excess elsewhere, and it seems much less successful as glue, far more like regular bathroom sealant - squidgy and rubbery, but not firmly attached to the roughened or smooth areas where I used it.

Not blaming the stuff itself - although its principle application might have been more clearly stressed on the packaging. I guess 292 is the stuff that sticks.

Alyssa

Visit site
Vyv

This gaiter does not provide a watertight seal (In fact the rubber gaiter has a hole in it). It is purely to fair the gap between the saildrive leg and the hole in the hull.

It's the other seal above this gaiter that definitely needs to be waterproof! (which does not use adhesive at all).