Signal Flags

Neeves

Visit site
Rather than respond to the the question 'were rawlplugs the new anchor?' I had mulled over signal flags - having pulled ours out in a quest to find something else.

We have had the same collection of signal flags for decades - they are as good as new. We have never used them.

Do people still carry them? Do people use them? (ours are so small anyone would need to be within shouting distance or have very good binoculars to see them). Does any know what the combinations mean?

I know the 'hazardous cargo, divers, quarantine, pilot on board, N over C' and a few others - and we have an idiots guide, for me - just in case, at the helm.

Or are they now - simply for use as a decorative addition?

Jonathan

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Vital for those occasions when you need to dress overall .... but be sure you know the correct order for them..

From the RYA Guide to Flag Etiquette:

"There is no official order for dressing flags but the following has come into use and is recommended. E, Q, p3, G, p8, Z, p4, W, p6, P, p1, I, Code, T, Y, B, X, 1st, H, 3rd,D, F, 2nd, U, A, O, M, R, p2, J, PO, N, p9, K, p7, V, p5, L, C, S."

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Rather than respond to the the question 'were rawlplugs the new anchor?' I had mulled over signal flags - having pulled ours out in a quest to find something else.

We have had the same collection of signal flags for decades - they are as good as new. We have never used them.

Do people still carry them? Do people use them? (ours are so small anyone would need to be within shouting distance or have very good binoculars to see them). Does any know what the combinations mean?

I know the 'hazardous cargo, divers, quarantine, pilot on board, N over C' and a few others - and we have an idiots guide, for me - just in case, at the helm.

Or are they now - simply for use as a decorative addition?

Jonathan

It is regulations that we must have selected signal flag onboard.

We also must know what most of the flags mean. being in a commersional harbour every vessel commingin and out fly pilot flag and the bunker barge fly the hazardous cargo.

The only signal flag I have ever used is the 'A' flag (diver down) when the cops are around and I am trying to retrieve and dripped tools.

laika

Visit site
A google for "international code of signals" will yield a handy pdf which will tell you everything you need to know :). I carry signal flags but confess that it's an affectation. I had a vague notion that if I was ever caught without power for my radio mid ocean, requesting my position from a passing tanker might be helpful. I'm not entirely confident foxtrot-alpha would get the desired response. As I reported in a thread a few years back, ZD2, "Please report me to Lloyds of London" which may be familiar to those who've read the literature on the (original) golden globe, won't be useful even if it is understood :).

Isn't much of what we do with sailing boats an anachronism but we do it because we enjoy it?

Yngmar

Visit site
I think a full set is a foible for the romantically inclined. We have a Q flag and probably should have a diver flag, although it seems nobody can agree which one that actually is.

That's pretty much all I can recognize too, although there is a complete list somewhere in the handy pocket guide we keep in the cockpit bag. Never needed to refer to it though.

Having looked them up, I think the "Y" would make an excellent company logo for charter boats though:
100px-ICS_Yankee.svg.png

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
When you are refueling you should fly the 'B' flag. I an loading hazardous cargo but nobody ever does.

Sez who? Never heard that one before!

And afaik the reason for a recommended order for dressing overall is to ensure no rude or offensive message is spelt out accidentally, or some unintended important signal made that could be misconstrued. Seems a bit unlikely to happen but all the same.

Last edited:

laika

Visit site

Wansworth

Visit site
On one coaster the skipper liked to send flags up rolled up ,which with a sharp tug would in theory fly out,on this occasion in ward bound at Flushing I sent the “pilot aboard” signal,Unfortunatly on giving it a sharp tug the flag,descended to the deck attached to the steel cross tree,block and halliard

PilotWolf

Visit site
Sez who? Never heard that one before!

And afaik the reason for a recommended order for dressing overall is to ensure no rude or offensive message is spelt out accidentally, or some unintended important signal made that could be misconstrued. Seems a bit unlikely to happen but all the same.

I seem to recall in Southampton it was in the bylaws? I know when I was based there commercially we had to call VTS before fueling, fly the flag and call them after it was complete confirming no spills.

W.

johnalison

Visit site
I have a full set for showing off with, having previously only had a Q and 3rd substitute. Out of perversity, I use the order for dressing overall from my ancient Yachtsman's Weekend Book instead of the RYA version and have yet to hear that I have said anything rude in Malian or whatever.

There are one or two useful signals. I have mentioned the use of the 1st numeral to show that one is single-handed, in the hope that more people will employ it, as they often do in Holland and elsewhere.

Another essential is OL, meaning 'heave to or I will open fire'.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have the usual ensign & courtesy flags, plus the Q flag & couple of dirty great "Stella Artois" flags, from my "Stella rally to Ostend" days back in the 70's. :encouragement:

In addition I have some code flags for identification for local races ready to fly off the backstay. I expect many racing owners have a few of those.

Of course, I have a " My Hanse" forum flag, but rarely fly it, in case some other Hanse owner turns up expecting a free glass of whiskey.:ambivalence:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
If we are talking Pennants, I still have a PBO pennant, given after a meetup at RNLI Poole.
I think the 'man from the publishers' also paid for lunch in the YC but that was many moons ago, so can't swear to that!
Anyone else still around who went? I think Robin was there.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Precisely. Loading diesel fuel was never the intention of that flag. It was primarily for explosives or highly volatile products; petrol, naptha, toluene for instance.