Side window temporary cover

Caladh

Visit site
Just about to send off 2 Lewmar side windows off for reglassing to Eagle windows. I will just send off the opening windows rather than the whole aluminium assembly. I’m thinking about just duck taping up the space in the meantime, unless someone has done anything better ?

Attachments

• 2023-11-21 12.07.36.jpeg
    2023-11-21 12.07.36.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Duct tape is fine for securing window openings covering in the short term, in my experience. (I used heavy gauge semi-transparent plastic sheet for the covering itself.)

Beware, though, that duct tape will leave a difficult to remove residue if left on too long. (How do I know that? :rolleyes:)

If the job ends up taking longer than you expect, I suggest removing your original taped-up job, giving the surface a clean, and the applying new tape. It will save work in the long run.

dovekie

Visit site
Polytunnel repair tape - or any similar UV resistant waterproof clear tape, securing clear polythene (polytunnel offcuts in our case). Tape all round onto clean gelcoat. We have a leaking coachroof window which I never seem to get round to repairing. This system lasts 12 months, then I peel it off, clean with white spirit, and redo. The grp is unmarked to date.

blush2

Visit site
Blue Peter style tacky back plastic. Used it on our Trapper many years ago when we were getting new side windows cut using the originals as templates.

Neeves

Visit site
We used gaffer tape or duct tape and heavy duty polythene, the sort used on concrete floors before installing a wooden floor. It will be good for a few weeks. The tape adhesive is an issue - but its simply a case of finding the right solvent, usually acetone or turps.

Jonathan