Side Shift - Stern Thruster

Croftie

Visit site
Hi

Has any one had any experience of the SideShift Stern thruster.

http://www.omnimarine.co.uk/epages/es780657.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es780657/Products/ST340

There are quite a few old threads on here mainly about the bow thruster and I agree they look terrible so please no comments on those!!

It is the stern thruster I could be interested in. Boat is a 32ft steel, single screw shaft drive and would mount quite nicely under and onto the bathing platform therefore no holes below the waterline and probably not even need lifting out to fit.

Single screw are not the easiest to go astern with when mooring up so as far as I can see this could be an answer. Their site has loads of testimonials but a comment on here from someone who uses one would be helpful.

Sdpaddler50

Visit site
I know of a person with a 37 ft new sea ray with dual outboards who installed one a few months ago. He said he did not have very good control with the outboards, so he installed the stern thruster. It was a DIY kit and he posted pictures If I remember correctly on the club sea ray forum.

alanch

Visit site
Hi

Has any one had any experience of the SideShift Stern thruster.

http://www.omnimarine.co.uk/epages/es780657.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es780657/Products/ST340

There are quite a few old threads on here mainly about the bow thruster and I agree they look terrible so please no comments on those!!

It is the stern thruster I could be interested in. Boat is a 32ft steel, single screw shaft drive and would mount quite nicely under and onto the bathing platform therefore no holes below the waterline and probably not even need lifting out to fit.

Single screw are not the easiest to go astern with when mooring up so as far as I can see this could be an answer. Their site has loads of testimonials but a comment on here from someone who uses one would be helpful.

You mention going astern on a single screw and using a stern thruster. A bow thruster would be of much more use moving astern to control direction.

Croftie

Visit site
I agree a bow thruster would probably give better results but the sideshift stern thruster is something I could fit in a day without any holes in the hull below waterline. They do an external bow thuster but................................... :hororr:

Kawasaki

Visit site
You mention going astern on a single screw and using a stern thruster. A bow thruster would be of much more use moving astern to control direction.
Agreed alanch, a single screw vessel has the benefits of the Helm knows what is happening when berthing or 'un' berthing, therefore a bow thruster is a more beneficial addition
A Bow Thruster will have a more immediate effect whilst 'thrusting' a stern thruster will be less effective in most cases due to the fact that the Stern on most vessels is less effective, for reasons another thread would or might be dedicated!
Croftie, use the effect of your single shaft vessels prop walk and a bow thruster to help you berth, not a stern thruster
Drill the holes in yer boat at the pointy end, it maybe scary but it's the best end at the end of the day!