Should we buy this self steering system?

lyralicious

Thailand. Recovering from what felt like the longe
www.patreon.com
We think we need a self steering system (see my previous post on PBO forum - apologies if this is too close to the first posting, but I want some fellow liveaboard comments on this one).

We think we need one for long ocean passages, especially when going downwind. Our B&G autopilot can handle sailing to windward well (in fact Esper sails herself to wind, if I'm honest) but is no good when the wind is behind us.

Other reasons for a windvane system are:
1. it saves power,
2. our potential insurers are demanding we have one,
3. it'll allow us to relax a bit when it's just the two of us undertaking long passages.

We have been offered a Windpilot Pacific Plus for less than half price (used once) in a boat jumble today and have said yes.

We have to make a final decision today and I want to know if anyone has any views on this system.

Please note that Esper is a centre cockpit ketch-rigged Oyster 435.

santeana

Visit site
Windpilot is invariable given high praise by users and regarded by many as the Rolls Royce of such wind steering systems in terms of materials, design and construction. I'm sure the Pacific Plus is an auxillary rudder model (as Hydrovane) and if anything will meet your needs on a centre cockpit layout it must rank high. As a biased user of wind steering systems a half priced, good condition Windpilot looks a great offer!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I believe Windpilots have lines and associated turning blocks from the vane to the wheel. These always reduce the sensitivity of the vane particularly in lighter airs. With a centre cockpit boat and the long lines that entails it could well be a significant problem.

It would be better to fit a vane without lines, Hydrovane is an example and the vane we see most often. And yes a windvane is IMO a must have piece of kit for short handed long distance sailing. Ocean sailing eats autopilots because of the extreme loading caused by big waves and swells coming in from different directions.

alandee

Visit site
The Windpilot Pacific Plus is a combination of a small servo-pendulum driving an auxiliary rudder as against the Pacific which is just a servo-pendulum unit. They are designed by the same person who originaly designed the Sailomat. The Pacific Plus can be used for boats up to 55ft but is also suitable for shorter boats as the weight is kept down by the aluminium construction.

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
While I don't have the same model as you, I can highly recommend Windpilot - I run the Pacific Light, and it has been excellent.

Also, you do not need to speak German to talk to Peter Forthmann - He speaks excellent English, and I am quite sure he will promptly reply to any of your queries.

nick.

chockswahay

Visit site
Queenie,

We bought the Windpilot Pacific direct from Peter Forthmann 3 yrs ago. I have to say that his knowledge and communication are really first class. He will help you in any way he can I am quite sure.

There is a lot of rubbish talked about windvane steering (usually by people who have never owned one). As with all windvane systems the Windpilot will require the boat to be well trimmed (neutral) but you will find the boat will happily sail as long as boat speed is above 2kts.

I have found mine to perform better than our electric autopilot and yes of course......NO AMPS!

We even use ours for short hops along the coast!

As for 'friction' in the lines.........rubbish I say!

Enjoy it, you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

Cheers

Chox /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

peterbringloe

Visit site
I don't think you can do better for your boat. But it may require modification to fit your transom (shaft length also may be wrong) Peter Fortymann will advise.

lyralicious

Thailand. Recovering from what felt like the longe
www.patreon.com
Indeed, the Pacific Plus is an auxilliary rudder model, so no lines running to the cockpit. It certainly seems just about right for our boat.

We've now agreed the purchase and I'm looking forward to learning some more swear words from Jamie as he installs it next month... no doubt he'll present you all with some photos in due course.

Thanks, yet again, for the words of wisdom.