Should the cleat move with a surge?

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
So here I was on a chartered Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52DS. We were in Union Island in the Grenadines with the wind gusting 30knots. We were tied alongside to the rickety pontoon (which later collapsed) Whilst watching the lines I realised that the forward cleat was moving slightly outboard with each surge from the mooring lines. The aft cleat seemed solid. Is this the norm for this make? Made me wonder about the way the cleat was fixed.

TS

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
When we bought our boat 6 years ago the stbd fwd cleat was moving... vendor sorted it out and it has not shifted since.... (knock on wood.)

Fairly easy to sort... they can get loose.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Top namedrop.

Try round the corner, ? chatham bay? Look for Shark Attack, BBQ just up from the beach, top night!!

And dinghy across to that man made bar on de reef, watch the propellor when you are close. Top night out!!!

PS its a charter boat, do 75 in 2nd gear. :)

[2068]

Visit site
NO!

One of my stern cleats started to move around in a blow, but fortunately an eagle-eyed MDL staff member spotted it.
Half an hour in the bilge with a long socket and some loctite, and problem sorted before it could have become a lot more serious.