Should Motorboats pay for Yachtsmen's accidents?

KevB

Visit site
Should Motorboats pay for Yachtsmen\'s accidents?

This week's poor YM Debate:

Leading insurance companies are now saying that yacht insurance premiums are going to go up by as much as 25per cent partly because novice users of large yachts are having too many accidents. Should motorboaters premiums be assessed separately from yacht users premiums?

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Should Motorboats pay for Yachtsmen\'s accidents?

Would you like to give details of the source of that quotation?

It sounds totally contradictory to everything else I have heard on the subject.

IF DBs quotation is correct then it is a very valid point for debate, impactly on all careful boat-owners whether sail or power.

KevB

Visit site

This new post was done in the same manner as the original - to stoke up confrontation.
As said elsewhere if it was true that Motorboats were having more expensive accidents than Yachts then why don't they just put up the premiums for motorboats. I'm sure thay can tell the difference
You wouldn't expect someone with a 1.1ltr mini metro to pay the same percentage premium as a Mcclaren F1 driver would you.

It's all an excuse to raise premiums.

And just to stoke it up a bit more - most motorboat accidents are caused from getting out of the way of bad yachtsmen ;¬)

tony_brighton

Visit site

Didn't think there were any bad yachtsmen.....and even if there were they should still be getting out of the way. Wasn't there a posting recently about a Sunsail boat sinking a power boat and not stopping/

bedouin

Visit site
It\'s ALWAYS the motorboaters fault...

After all - have you ever heard of a collision between a motorboat and a yacht that was the yacht's fault?

After all, Colregs requires motorboats to give way to sailing vessels; and that includes giving them room to tack if required. QED :)

As for one sailing vessel hitting another - well that is totally unheard of.

coliholic

Visit site

Kev as a stinkpotter I can absolutely confirm that there's just no such thing as a bad yachtsman. Neither I or my wide circle of motor boating friends have ever seen one.

'Cos to accept that bad yachtsmen exist, would imply that there were some good ones, and I don't know anyone who's ever seen one of those;-)

G

Re: It\'s ALWAYS the motorboaters fault...

Sailing boats not hitting one another!!!!!!

Where do you sail? The Ulan-Batour Gravel Pit Sailing and Social Club?

The Premiums are going up because all insurers lost bundle in the September 11 business.

G

Re: It\'s ALWAYS the motorboaters fault...

after recently attending a sailing course, the only thing we concluded was was give way to anything larger than you and aim for jet-skiers. i find them damn annoying. i feel it is the responsibility of all yachtsmen to go out of their way to destroy the evil motor menace. obviously this has nothing to do with insurance claims but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions of jet-skiers. I hear a well aimed rocket flare works wonders...

G

don't forger the accidents caused by avoiding jetskis and their "pilots??" in the water this causes how many accidents? and what about the accidents caused by trying to avoid seals,seagulls,wales,great big metal floating lumps with red , green and even red and white colours and other assorted nuisances that interfear with stright line navigation??????
adobe.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
The Ulan Batour Sailing and Social Club

When I lived in Beijing a friend, a very distinguished journalist who owns a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter, found that there actually was a Navy in Outer Mongolia. It consisted of two lighters and a tug, all in a decrepit state, which had been built in Russia and hauled overland in pieces. The commander of this motley fleet, when asked if he had a chart of the lake, siad that he had once possessed one, but the secret police had confiscated it when the country opened up to the West, because it was a state secret!

With one tug and two lighters, collisions were, of course, rare....

There is now an active Yacht Club in Shanghai, by the way.

G

Re: The Ulan Batour Sailing and Social Club

This thread has definately all the ingredients to run a long way (and go off at tangents), insurance premiums, Col Regs, navigation, whether motorboaters or yotties are good or bad and finally what do "we" think of jet skiers?

KevB

Visit site
Re: Should Motorboats pay for Yachtsmen\'s accident

I really do find it enlightening that we have not entered into a barrage of slagging off between "Raggies" and "Stinkpots", just light hearted banter.
Times are 'a' changing.
Sorry Dominic Byers your underhanded ploy to get us at each others throats has failed.

Well done all.

Now what was that about Sunsail..........

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on Wed Jan 30 21:20:07 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Yes, partly because novices tend to start in motor boats. This could easily be rectified for experienced M/Boaters by no-claims bonuses.
Secondly because too much modern motor boat literature and culture brings the car-driving state of mind to sea, and it has no place there.
Thirdly because they are getting bigger and faster. I have seen a fourteen year old driving a 60 foot boat of the sunseeker type at a speed well over 30 knots across a crowded anchorage. The proud parents seemed to be delighted.

William Cooper