Should I base in Bristol Channel?

trapper guy

Visit site
My first boat was based in Ilfracombe when I bought it. She was moved to the south Devon coast very soon after as I found the Bristol Channel 'limiting'.

Being based on the south coast I can be in France in 24 hours drinking decent coffee and Spain in four days.

Really depends what you like to do when sailing.
im not so much of a sailor, despite buying a sailboat, and france doesnt really float my boat.
i bought the boat for a slice of freedom more than anything, and the recent covid 'thing' did nothing but amplify that need.
i am a qualified biologist, and as such the stunts pulled by government made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, everything they recommended was directly opposed to everything i have learned about the control of disease in the last 20 years.
i want the freedom and option to get out of dodge should they ever attempt that again.

and i like travelling, and a spot of fishing occasionally, and given the other stunt gov is pulling regarding so called fossil fuels, i figured the wind was the sensible option of those available, as fuel may not always be available in useful qty's

PCUK

Visit site
I had my Westerly at Uphill. I would have thought that you would be better off at a marina such as Portishead or Penarth.
The Bristol Channel is great and if you use the tides you can get a really long way in 8h
Hello Halo, Were you at Uphill when the recent improvement were made? They seem to have done a fair bit including the new basin which looks interesting.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The problem with uphill wharf and the basin was that it is or was only accessible near high tide and not really at neaps and even in Jumping J we were neaped and couldnt join the cruise. If you only want to go down along that may not matter as you just leave at high tide but if you want to go round the bay or across to Cardiff it does matter

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
My draft was 2ft / 60cm approx as had lifting keel. The problem is the tidal range is between 10 and 13+ metres. So high tide about 1.5m less at neap than at springs. At high tide springs some unlucky souls ho aground trying to sail across fields, but at neaps some pontoons have barely enough water to float at HT. Club racing or trips to cardiff start 2hrs before HT thus nearly 3m before HT. Moorings in main river mostly ok if you can manage wind blasted trots and difficult access down ramp or creekside and we had 3ft draft westerly pentland there. However the side creek and its pontoons dont get water so early. Many boats just go up to near the yard for the winter and indeed when my exploring days are over I will have something up there to use just to be near the sea

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
So apart from the tidal problems would you say it is a nice place to be based?
If you love mud as I do - dangerous in mooring inspections and getting on all ropes and clothes but kind on hulls. And you love 4kt tides so really you can only go cross tide or with it. And can cope with 13kt tidal ranges so anchor scope is really an issue for small boats with a mere 60m of chain. Then its fine and I still miss it. PS of course generally one cannot anchor in most of BC as tidal stream are too strong and anchors can drag or even drag the bows under as at slime road once long long ago ( suspect rode too short but the recounting missed out such detail)

PCUK

Visit site
I'm OK with mud having spent many happy years at Gillingham marina on the Medway and later at Watchet as it gradually dried out. My latest project has an estimated top speed of 30 knots so that helps with foul tides. My main concern for a base is security and pleasant surroundings when we're staying put. (Plus affordable moorings!)

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I liked Uphill when I was based there. I had one of the trot moorings maintained by Uphill Boat Services just off the main river, at the entrance to their creek. I floated 2 to 2.5 hrs each side of high water, which was workable. Lovely quiet place with nice day sails over to Penarth, or down to Porlock etc for an overnight.
But the tides are quite something... And once you're out, you're out, with nowhere to hide til the tide comes back six or eight hours later. It's possible to anchor just tucked in behind Brean Down to wait for the tide but if the wind is west or anywhere north of west there's no shelter to be had there.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I liked Uphill when I was based there. I had one of the trot moorings maintained by Uphill Boat Services just off the main river, at the entrance to their creek. I floated 2 to 2.5 hrs each side of high water, which was workable. Lovely quiet place with nice day sails over to Penarth, or down to Porlock etc for an overnight.
But the tides are quite something... And once you're out, you're out, with nowhere to hide til the tide comes back six or eight hours later. It's possible to anchor just tucked in behind Brean Down to wait for the tide but if the wind is west or anywhere north of west there's no shelter to be had there.
It rolls nicely by the Juicy buoy and we have chanced it to get near the Brean down quarry at half rise in bad weather.
Navigator fliched asvwe surfed in.

It is beautiful and I have climbed in the main quarry. I did wonder about the uphill creek trot but neither sue nor new owners seemed helpful. So better for us in plymouth sadly

Other threads that may be of interest