Shotley Marina

spottydog

www.Eastern-Telephones.co.uk
I would like to keep my boat at Shotley next season, my only concern is the lock.
I am usually without crew so transiting locks can be troublesome. Have any ECF views on simplifying the procedure?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
yep....

Firstly, as locks go, its about as easy as they get..... the lock isn't wide enough to go sideways, so worst case is bow on one side, stern on the other at a bit of an angle.... and on both sides, the pontoons are soft, with a flexible floating system.

Secondly, a centre line is your answer!.... rig it, come alongside, nip from the helm and drop it over the nearest cleat, and you are away.... a small application of forward or reverse will see you smartly alongside and with plenty of time to get the breast lines on...

Last, but not least, the staff are very helpful, and will always come to help if you ask them too.... they will nearly always have a junior member of staff around with a boathook to help on busy days, and when its windy will invariable come to offer help without being asked anyway....

Phoenix of Hamble

Worst we've ever waited is 45mins.... and that was due to arriving back at 4:00pm on a hot bank holiday Monday at LW!....

Mostly we either pretty much get locked straight in/out, or wait 5 or so mins...

Number of boats depends upon the boat sizes!..... but usually there are between 3 and 6 boats in there when its busy..... most weekends, we lock in/out singly or at most with one other boat

Sixpence

Visit site
From the point of view of a crew member, and one that's done a few locks including Shotley, have to admit it's about the easiest one I've gone through, but in a mobo be aware of cross winds when you get in it, you're more likely to be blown over to one side or the other so you might as well accept it and make sure your lines are ready to go that side. Don't know if you've used the 'illuminated chevrons' system of approaching down the chanel ?, if not it might be worth asking Neil how it works, it's simple and effective, and as Neil says, plenty of willing help available once inside
Don't worry, you'll be fine /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
Seconded what Morgana says. I have been in there a few times single handed. It depends on the shape of your boat but I put out fenders on one side, have a rope ready with a loop tied on it, drop it over a cleat on the top of the floating side "cushions" (made of plastic not rubber) and tie off on the centre cleat. I then drop a rope over a cleat near the stern and just hold the back in - I don't bother with a breast rope.

All goes really well and the inevitable onlookers are impressed when the HM leans over the balcony and asks you to move up a bit - oh **** /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spottydog

www.Eastern-Telephones.co.uk
MOBO!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Seriously though, thanks Sixpence, yes I am familiar with the chevrons system. I have been into Shotley a couple of times, but always with crew. Plus, once towed in with engine probs.

Pye_End

Visit site
It gets easier, and the fear is reduced, after a few goes. Not as bad as you think before you do it. Try to do the first ones when the lock has no other boats in, so you don't have to worry about your bows swinging out.

Sixpence

Visit site
Whoooops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I shall hang my head in shame for the remainder of the day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Shouldn't be hard as I'm off to stick my head in the bilges again for some last minute repairs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I should just accept there will be the usual steep and embarrassing learning curve to endure as with all new boaty experiences. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No embarrassment necessary - learning curves are the name of the game and nobody with a boat has always got everything right. Preparation of ropes and brain is the key. Good luck.

They are very helpful and you can always tell them you are coming in single-handed. It did get a bit awkward when the handheld VHF packed up and I had to stick the tiller-pilot on and go below to talk to them whilst in the middle of the harbour - a new handheld was acquired shortly after that!

catseven

ally force 3 to 4 - good - East Coast, UK
Visit site
Hi,

I've been based in Shotley for just over a year and like you had reservations about the lock both from a time point of view and making a hash of it in front of an audience!

I fully agree with Morgana and Moodysabre regarding putting a line on the centre cleat first. I use a short dedicated line with a loop on both ends. I put on the bow and stern lines. Then I remove the centre line so that only two lines need to be released when the signal to go is given.

I still make a mistake or two from time to time but I certainly feel more confident now.

Some other points you may find usefull.

I always put fenders on both sides (other boats come alongside or the lock operator may ask you to go Port side to after you're prepared for Starboard!)

I also keep a roving fender handy to deploy as required when other boats are in the lock with us.

I always have a boathook ready to hold the boat while attaching the centre line. Then to pull the stern/bow in as required and also to 'feed' the lines over the most convenient cleat.

I gradually increase speed when starting off having made sure the boat is clear of the side(I watched a small Mobo race off....its fenders 'rolled up horizontally and one of them got caught on a lockside cleat! The skipper couldn't understand why the boat suddenly slewed sideways and wouldn't go forwards!

I also use the Inogon 'Chevrons' when leaving the lock and aiming for the 'posts'. I'm always amazed, in a crosstide and/or wind, at the heading required to keep within the dredged channel.

If you are lucky and arrive at around high water the lock is sometimes on 'freeflow' and you may just be able to motor straight through! Just remember to call the lock first to make sure the traffic lights are in your favour before you flash through at 6kts only to meet someone departing from the Marina!

Finally, Shotley Marina is a friendly place and you will be made welcome. It's pretty laid back too. The fueling pontoon is conveniently placed near the lock. You fill up then tell them how mauch you have had and they send you the bill later! (Try that at Tesco!)

Hope this helps.

catseven

Phoenix of Hamble

[ QUOTE ]
The fueling pontoon is conveniently placed near the lock. You fill up then tell them how mauch you have had and they send you the bill later! (Try that at Tesco!)

[/ QUOTE ]yep... and often MUCH later..... its not unusual for the gap between refuelling and getting the bill to be 7 or 8 weeks, and then they give you a month to pay it.....!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Shame they don't apply the same, relaxed rules for visitors.

When I recently enquired about coming in just to fuel, I was told I would have to pay a minimum stay (< 4 hrs) fee.
Though their fuel was marginally cheaper, the fee would have wiped out any savings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saguday

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.... the lock isn't wide enough to go sideways, so worst case is bow on one side, stern on the other at a bit of an angle.... ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so! I managed it!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
I hear they're good at recognising a dodgy geezer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Running back to hide on the boat again /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CPD

Visit site
I have solo'd the lock a couple of times and got away with tying a line to the "up water" flow end of the boat. As the others have said though, a centre cleat is the best answer.

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also use the Inogon 'Chevrons' when leaving the lock and aiming for the 'posts'. I'm always amazed, in a crosstide and/or wind, at the heading required to keep within the dredged channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you are leaving the lock, look between the two posts. You'll see a big 'gantry' thing on the far side of the river, and almost lined up with the middle of the gap. If you keep it so aligned, then it makes a good transit along the dredged channel. Easier than the chevrons, because you don't have to keep looking back.

Oh, and if you are using the chevrons coming in, then don't forget to leave their line as you are coming in to the lock. If you stay on the chevron line it takes you into the sea wall! Sounds obvious, but I've had a few helmsmen get so captured by the Chevrons that they forget!

I always try to go in to the downwind side of the lock (look at the flags along the side of the lock), so that the wind pushes me in to the berth. Put a short stern breast rope on, then when you are leaving the lock reverse against it to bring the bow out. Keep the steering straight initially, until your stern is away from the lock wall, and try not to steer away from the wall because that just pushes your stern against the wall.