Shotley Marina - good service

steved

Visit site
I know the marine industry sometimes gets a bad name for shoddy service levels, but I would just like to give Shotley Marina a thumbs up for the excellent service that I recently received.

Phoned them on Monday28/6 with a repair request that could only be done whilst the boat was out of the water, they originally advised they could do it w/c 5/7, but after a plea for a bit earlier, they lifted out Tues 29/6 PM, completed the original repair request plus a couple of other small jobs by Wed PM, and the boat was in the slings ready for relaunch at a pre agreed time on Thursday. Everyone from the lifting crew, workshop, office and lock gate staff were very obliging, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. So well done Shotley.

And I'm not a berth holder there.

Marmalade

Visit site
Martin and the boatyard team are excellent - all the lock-keepers are great - Mim in the office is brilliant and facilities are good

downsides:
1. thin film of diesel particulates on your boat after northerlies (Felixstowe dock)
2. Wi-Fi - come on Shotley - this is 2021 (there is wi fi but it's rubbish, even after a recent "upgrade")
3. Food in the Shipwreck (beer has always been excellent). Disclaimer: we got so fed up with poorly cooked food that we haven't eaten there for 2 years - might be cordon-bleu now for all I know
4. Inability to erect an effective bird scarer to keep bird poo off the boat

upsides:
1. Staff and customer service attitude (see above)
2. Location - right in the harbour so easy access to both rivers and the sea / Backwaters / Essex rivers / Belgium, Holland France etc.
3. Lock - being behind a lock means quiet nights - no swell or wash
4. Close enough to the Bristol Arms and the Butt &Oyster for 3. above not to matter too much
5. 24 x 7 access

Dee Bee

Visit site
The Shipwreck is just bog standard pub grub. Did a good burger when I was last there but don't expect anything more.

bluerm166

Visit site
".............3. Food in the Shipwreck (beer has always been excellent). Disclaimer: we got so fed up with poorly cooked food that we haven't eaten there for 2 years - might be cordon-bleu now for all I know ........... "
Marmalade ,I can asure you its not .I had a piece of cod/haddock that was reduced to absolute mush inside the batter recently .A poor advert for cryogenics ?

Paulfireblade

Visit site
We have only been at Shotley six weeks but have been very pleased so far and everyone has been very helpful and friendly both staff and berth holders. Good to hear positive reviews about the yard which is comforting and love the location.

Other threads that may be of interest