Short cut?

Forbsie

Visit site
I have never come across ctr+rtn used like this and I've been involved in IT for 25 years. If indeed it is a short cut, I doubt whether it would have been regionalised to provide local equivalents. It is like when I create a contact address in my MS Outlook, it always assumes that the contact is in USA.

Hmmm

Maybe this software knows something that we don't...

;o)

byron

RIP
Visit site
The way you can do it is to designate an 'F' key. Say for example you designate 'F9' you then type in say "BBC" press 'F9' and it adds the '.co.uk'
Alternatively if you buy one of the latest keyboards (I got one from my kid for Xmas) there are a whole load of extra buttons you can program to do such things.

ô¿ô

phil_sin

Visit site
By default Internet Explorer 5 and later was set up to search for .com, .net, .org and .gov extentions when you put a single word into the address bar and hit return.

It is possible to edit or extend this list to include any extentions you like ie .co.uk or .info etc. However to do this you will need to edit the registery which if done wrong can cause all sorts of extra problems that may (worst case) require your machine to need reinstalling. You have been warned!

To edit the registery Click START => RUN and type regedit.exe and return

The tree that opens is like Windows Explorer and you need to find the following folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\UrlTemplate

You can then edit the entry's by double clicking and changing the end parts or add extra lines (FILE => NEW and choose STRING) For example my file looks like

"1"="www.%s.co.uk"
"2"="www.%s.org"
"3"="www.%s.net"
"4"="www.%s.com"
"5"="www.%s.info"

You do not need to add the "" as windows will add these for you, also if you are trying this in an office that has a firewall, the firewall will stop this working properly

Hope this is of use

byron

RIP
Visit site
Piers Piers Piers... for gawds sake do not touch the registry unless you really know what you are doing. Most dangerous thing you can do without a secure knowledge. I cannot emphasise the problems it can cause.

ô¿ô