Shore power socket

gtmoore

Visit site
I'm just getting the bits and pieces together to put some shorepower in our Moody 29. I'm not sure where the best location for the external socket for the shorepower lead should go. In a copy of PBO I have here, a Moody 31 owner has his in a cockpit locker. Although this keeps the rain away, doesn't this mean having to keep the cockpit locker ajar/unlocked?

Where do owners on the forum recommend?

Thanks

G

I have mine fitted to the outside of the cockpit coaming on my HR31. The socket has a splashproof cover that has not resulted in any problems although it has only been fitted for a year. Fitting the socket anywhere in the cockpit, including a locker, tends to result in a trip hazard, especially when returning from the pub!

Nick F

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Mine's in the anchor locker (not a Moody, but I'm sure you have one on the 31).
I know it sounds the worst possible place in terms of getting wet, but have never had any problems in 15 years with a decent CEE17 inlet (facing downwards).

It's certainly the most convenient in a normal Marina berth.

MedMan

teall.name
We have ours fitted in just this way - in the stern locker with a small section of the lip to the lid ground away so that it can shut over the cable. It has served without problem for 10 years plus.

David

Modulation

Visit site
The cockpit locker is as good as you could find. It has the added advantage that you can have the shore power cable permanently plugged into it.
Youll probably find a location that will not need you to cut away any of the locker sides for the cable - I didn't have to on my Ben 32.

Brendan

Brendan

jimi

Visit site
And if the locker is locked no one can nick the lead. I also keep mine stored in there on a clip on the locker side